Ohio guard Erica Johnson handles the ball against defensive pressure from Kent State’s Ali Poole during the two teams’ game Jan. 16. (FILE)

Women's Basketball: Erica Johnson wins MAC Player of the Week

For the sixth time this season, an Ohio player was named Mid-American Conference East Division Player of the Week, and for the second time that player was redshirt freshman guard Erica Johnson. 

Johnson led the Bobcats to two road wins over Northern Illinois and Bowling Green. In the win against the Huskies, Johnson recorded her first career double-double, posting career-highs of 26 points and 16 rebounds. 

At Bowling Green, the Bobcats survived 82-79 thanks to Johnson’s 22 point, five rebound, five steal and four assist performance. Johnson also sank the two critical free throws with 5.8 seconds remaining to secure the win. 

Johnson was also named the college sports madness high major Player of Week for her efforts. 

The redshirt freshman has been on a tear throughout conference play. In Ohio’s seven conference games, Johnson’s averaged 18.5 points, 6.4 rebounds and 4.1 assists. 

With this being her first year playing, coach Bob Boldon feels like Johnson is far from her potential. 

“I think her best basketball is ahead of her,” Boldon said. “She continues to learn, she loves to learn and she’s very interested in how to get better.” 

@JL_Kirven 

jk810916@ohio.edu