Ohio junior Quinton Maxwell scores a touchdown during the Bobcats’ game against Bowling Green on Oct. 20. (FILE)

Football: Quinton Maxwell enters name into NCAA Transfer Portal

Ohio quarterback Quinton Maxwell can officially be contacted by other schools about a potential transfer. 

According to sources, Maxwell has entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal. 

The transfer database does not mean Maxwell is guaranteed to transfer, but he may be contacted by coaches from other schools who wish to bring him to their campus. He can return to Ohio if he decides not to transfer, but Ohio’s coaching staff is not required to retain him or hold his scholarship.

The Ohio athletic department confirmed that Maxwell has entered the transfer portal but had no comment at this time. 

A rising redshirt senior, Maxwell’s started eight games and appeared in 23 games during his time at Ohio. He’s been the backup to Nathan Rourke for much of the past two seasons. 

Last season, he and Rourke entered fall camp in a pseudo-position battle, but it was largely Rourke’s to lose. Maxwell appeared in six games, including the season opener against Howard when he led Ohio’s offense to a comeback win in place of a struggling Rourke.

But after that game, Ohio had an idle week, and Rourke remained the starter for the Week 3 game against Virginia. Thereafter, Maxwell played sparingly.

Throughout his three seasons of play, he’s passed for 1,773 yards, 12 touchdowns and six interceptions. Maxwell’s remembered most for his play in the 2016 campaign, when he came off the bench as a redshirt freshman in relief of Greg Windham. 

Maxwell started six games in the stretch, leading Ohio to a Mid-American Conference East Division title against Akron. He started in the 2016 MAC Championship Game in Detroit, attempting one pass and rushing the ball four times for seven yards. 

Maxwell was pulled after the first quarter, and was replaced by Windham. The Bobcats lost 29-23 to the Broncos, but Windham passed for three touchdowns after coming in for Maxwell. 

The potential loss of Maxwell opens the door for a backup quarterback battle between Drew Keszei, who will be a redshirt sophomore, and Joe Mischler, who will be a redshirt freshman.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu