Senior forward Bryan Lubin (#10) shoots the puck during Ohio's game against Eastern Michigan on Saturday, October 13. The Bobcats defeated the Eagles 8-1. (FILE)

Hockey: Pitt scouting report and how to watch

Correction appended. 

No. 4 Ohio (12-3-3) returns to Bird Arena for its first home series of the calendar year this weekend as it hosts Pitt (8-9-0) in a non-league series. The Bobcats were supposed to have their first series of the calendar year against No. 1 Lindenwood on Jan. 11 and 12, but the series was cancelled because of weather.

Game information

Opponent: Pitt Panthers

Puck drop: 7:30 p.m.

Venue: Bird Arena

How to watch: Bobcat productions presents Ohio hockey via Facebook

Meet the opponent

Top point scorers

42 Jacob Tepe (7 goals, 6 assists)

14 Shawn Phillipps (3 goals, 8 assists)

19 Milo Defay (8 goals, 1 assist)

Goalie Play

29 Matt Snader (6-4, 2.4 goals against average, .926 save percentage)

30 Garet Ciaramella (2-5, 3.3 GAA, .844 save percentage)

Penalty minutes

11 Alexander Crilley (28)

9 Trevor Handlovitch (23)

19 Milo Defay (16)

Last match up

In the 2017-18 season, Ohio hosted Pitt in between two league series against Iowa State and Robert Morris-Illinois.

The Bobcats thoroughly took care of business in a combined 14-1 sweep over the visiting Panthers.

Then senior Mike Palasics led the team in total points with seven assists. Current junior Timmy Thurnau led the team in goals with three.

Jimmy Thomas was strong in net for Ohio as the goalie only allowed one goal in on Pitt’s combined 28 attempts. Mason Koster played a period in the Saturday game and saved all five shots on net.

Three stars to watch

Overall play: The Bobcats haven’t played a game since December 8 when they defeated Illinois 4-3 in overtime. With that said, it might take a while for Ohio to play at the same level it was prior to the semester’s end. Pitt is a good opponent for Ohio to get back into playing games.

Penalties: In the last two series Ohio has had with Pitt, plenty of penalties have been dished out to both benches. In the 2016-17 season, the two teams got into an out-of-control brawl that saw the suspension of several players. Ohio will have to play smart and with its emotions in check

Habits: Parallel to the first star in overall play, the Bobcats will have to have their game habits ready from the initial puck drop. Meaning, a strong forecheck, working the areas down by the goal and utilizing the speed that Ohio is known for.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu

Correction: A pervious version of this report incorrectly stated the start time. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.