Ohio goalie Jimmy Thomas (#30) watches the puck being played during the Bobcats’ 4-0 victory over Robert Morris-Illinois on Saturday, Dec. 1.

Hockey: Bobcats struggle on the road against Robert Morris-Illinois

No. 5 Ohio suffered two weekend losses on the road at Central States Collegiate Hockey League rival No. 19 Robert Morris-Illinois.

Despite the two losses, the Bobcats earn points toward the national computer polls because of the games going to a shoot-out and overtime on Friday and Saturday, respectively.

A closer look at Ohio’s nights in Bensonville, Illinois.

Friday’s blunder

Up 3-0 heading into the final period of regulation, all Ohio (13-3-5) had to do was withstand 20 more minutes from its league foe and it would’ve notched a key win in terms of points and confidence under its belt.

Instead, the opposite happened. Nineteen seconds into the final period, Robert Morris-Illinois’ Giuseppe Molfetta scored off the opening puck drop. Down a skater following their first goal of the game, the Eagles’ Scott Coash scored a short-handed goal 44 seconds after the team’s first goal.

It would be nearly another 10 minutes before Jimmy Thomas and the Bobcats let in the game-tying goal. Scored with 9:59 left in the third period, Ohio stood tall for the remainder of regulation and into the over time period as well.

In part to its smart playing during the 3-on-3 overtime period, Ohio found itself in its first shootout since Nov. 14, 2016 against the University of Michigan-Dearborn. After nine rounds of unsuccessful attempts to put the game away for either team, the Eagles’ Lucas Stover netted the game winner.

Ohio tied 3-3 (1-0). 

Back-and-forth Saturday

Unlike Friday’s game, the Bobcats found themselves in a more tightly-contested game throughout Saturday night. Junior forward Tyler Harkins scored the game’s first goal on an Ohio power play with 6:38 left in the middle period.

From there, the back-and-forth atmosphere of the game begun and the teams traded goals until it was a 3-3 tie in the overtime period for the second night in a row.

Once again, Ohio’s overtime woes struck as Robert Morris-Illinois’ Nick Rizzo scored 43 seconds into the extra period.

Quick numbers

4. Jake Houston led Ohio in total points this weekend with four. The junior defenseman had one goal and three assists during the series.

58. Thomas saved a weekend total of 58 shots on 65 attempts. The junior goalie posted a .892 save percentage.

5. Ohio has suffered five overtime losses this season. That is the most overtime losses the Bobcats have had in a season since coach Sean Hogan’s first year when the team had six.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu