Ohio University's Amani Burke (#3) drives towards the basket against Eastern Michigan on Saturday.

Women's Basketball: Ohio wins fifth straight with win over Bowling Green

BOWLING GREEN — Ohio won its fifth straight game Saturday afternoon after surviving Bowling Green 82-79 at the Stroh Center.  

How did it happen?

The Bobcats were without sophomore forward Gabby Burris for the entire game, and her rebounding and scoring was missed. Ohio struggled to find rhythm in the first quarter, and Bowling Green tried to take advantage of Ohio’s inconsistent defense with 3-pointers. 

In the second quarter, Ohio’s offense started to gain momentum. Erica Johnson (22 points) and Dominique Doseck (15 points) finally found their touch on their 3-pointers, while Cece Hooks (22 points) drove into the paint and finished with either hand. Ohio made sure Bowling Green became desperate to make 3-pointers, and the Falcons faltered under the pressure ending the half 6-of-19 behind the arc. 

After a commanding second quarter, Ohio led at halftime 48-32.  

In the third, Ohio was stifled by the Falcons. The Bobcats couldn’t make shots and went 2-of-14 from the field. Bowling Green’s Sydney Lambert (23 points) and Morgan McMillen (20 points) ran the Bobcats ragged while Andrea Cecil made 3-pointers from the corner. Entering the fourth, Ohio’s 16 point lead was dwindled to eight. 

Bowling Green came out strong in the fourth, and made the Bobcats sweat. Ohio struggled to contain Lambert and squandered every opportunity it had at the strike to put the game away. With every basket traded, the momentum switch from the majority in orange to the minority in green. Finally after a stressful period, Ohio held on to its lead which had be reduced to one point with 5.8 seconds to go and escaped with the win. 

When was it decided?

With 5.8 seconds remaining and the Bobcats leading by one, Johnson was fouled and sent to the line. She took her time and it paid off. She made both of her free throw attempts, giving a the Bobcats a three point-lead. Doseck blocked Bowling Green’s game tying 3-pointer and the Bobcats survived.  

Key player 

Hooks and Johnson were their usual selves in the win, and both left a major impact for the Bobcats. 

For the Falcons, Lambert showed why she’s one of the best guards in the MAC. She ran Bowling Greens offense with precision the entire half and used her own space to create scoring for herself. She finished with 23 points, 10 rebounds and four assists.  

What does this mean?

The win keeps Ohio in the hunt for its first MAC championship title since 2016. The Bobcats’ undefeated road record also stays in tact at 7-0 (9-0 if including the two neutral site games the Bobcats played against St. Bonaventure and Lamar). Ohio’s two game road trip is over. It will be back at The Convo on Wednesday against Miami.  

@JL_Kirven

jk810916@ohio.edu