Ohio’s Shakur Laney wrestles against Kent State in a match on Jan. 18. (FILE)

Wrestling: Ohio prepares to face off against Central Michigan

Fresh off a 21-18 comeback win in Dekalb, Illinois, against Northern Illinois, Ohio seeks to follow up with another victory at Central Michigan this Sunday.

If the Bobcats (4-4, 2-1 Mid-American Conference) can secure the win Sunday, they’ll be returning home on a two-game win streak. While not seemingly crucial, it would give them the momentum to potentially close out their final two home matches of the season with wins. Should they lose, however, they risk losing third place in the MAC to Central Michigan.

The Chippewas will not be an easy team to beat, however. Three members of Central Michigan’s wrestling team were named to the 2018-19 NCAA Coaches’ Panel Rankings: Drew Hildebrandt (125), Logan Parks (157) and Matt Stencel (285). 

To compare, Ohio had five: Shakur Laney (125), Zac Carson (157), Zack Parker (285), Mario Guillen (133) and Cameron Kelly (141). 

Regardless of which wrestlers face off, Ohio has always had difficulty with Central Michigan. Ohio has not beaten Central Michigan in a dual meet in the past six seasons. Last season, the Bobcats were routed 29-9. Ohio now has an opportunity to snap that streak. The Chippewas (3-5, 2-2 MAC) have just come off a loss to North Dakota State.

Still, both teams seem to be on near equal footing in the MAC. The two MAC teams both Ohio and Central Michigan have faced — Northern Illinois and Missouri — have ended with nearly the same score. In fact, both teams defeated the Huskies by coming back and winning the last four matches of their dual.

Ohio and Central Michigan will face off Sunday in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, at 2 p.m.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu