Around the Web: 'You' is a Netflix must

After the switch of You from Lifetime to Netflix, it has become an unexpected hit. Just what is it about the series that entices viewers?

You, a show that failed on Lifetime, has seen an unexpected increase in popularity since moving to Netflix. During its stint on Lifetime, viewership was down the drain. It was estimated that roughly 600,000 people were watching each episode. However, as soon as Lifetime announced it was done with the series, people started realizing that it was a show worth watching, and Netflix saw an opportunity. The increase in viewership could be due to the fact that there is a different audience mindset that watches Netflix, such as younger viewers, or just because it is a show that is good from start to finish.

The show is in many ways different than your normal stalker drama. From the start of the season, the series’ creators make it obvious that main character is someone who has many secrets and is not to be trusted. However, his “average Joe” life and inner dialogue are just too relatable for the audience to not swoon over.

His stalker love interest, Beck, is a struggling writer who has multiple love interests and fake friends. Beck initially didn’t have any interest for Joe and barely knew him, but Joe attempted everything in the book in order to make their paths cross. When they eventually start dating, the audience can only cheer in delight that the struggle paid off, disregarding the fact that he stalked her social media and stole her phone to reach the endgame. But what each of them don’t know is that they have secrets of their own, which is possibly why they make such a good pair.

Things seem to be going pretty well for the couple, especially since Joe continues to take people out of Beck’s life that are “toxic,” until Beck finds out Joe’s murders and stalker-like tendencies. Joe locks her away, and when she tries to escape, he kills her. Even after all this and more of his secrets come out, audience members seem to be unfazed by his manipulations.

Not only does this show serve to remind viewers that social media can become a dangerous tool if not used properly but that love can make someone careless and not see the big picture. Fans took to Twitter to fantasize over Joe with the actor Penn Badgley, and even though the questions and responses were all lighthearted, it shows that many audience members still liked the character even after the unfortunate ending.

Critics of the show have categorized it from a different perspective. They say that the true meaning of the series is the tragedy of toxic masculinity. Since the point of view is mainly focused on Joe, the argument is that he is the stereotypical dominant male character that thinks everything he does is chivalric. Meanwhile, they fail to recognize that this show is unique because it takes a perspective of a serial stalker and murderer, which is not very widely known by the public, and makes their actions more understandable.

Another season has already been announced for the hit, which was to be expected after the twist ending of the first season. Whether toxic masculinity will be a turn off for some viewers remains to be seen, but the rest of us will enjoy a unique thriller that gives the audience something to look forward to with each new twist and turn.

Charlotte Caldwell is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Charlotte? Email her at cc670717@ohio.edu