Athens' Justin Hynes and Elijah Williams rebound a foul shot during a match against the River Valley Raiders. The Bulldogs won this game 79-51 on December 8, 2017.

Athens Basketball: Athens’ game against Alexander rescheduled

The Bulldogs’ Tri-Valley Conference championship hopes will have to wait one day.

According to Athens High School officials, Athens’ road game scheduled for Friday at Alexander has been rescheduled for Saturday. The freshman game will tip at 4 p.m., and the JV and varsity game will follow.

Both Athens and Alexander School Districts cancelled school Friday due to inclement weather.

The game against the Spartans was being touted as a de facto TVC title game and the biggest game to date for the Bulldogs.

Athens (12-4, 8-1 TVC Ohio) and Alexander (12-3, 8-1 TVC Ohio) were entering the game tied atop the TVC Ohio standings with only three conference games remaining.

Athens won the first matchup between the two teams in December by 10 points behind a strong defensive effort from Isaiah Butcher.

But Athens let Alexander climb back into the TVC title hunt when it dropped its first conference game of the season to Vinton County on Jan. 18.

Due to the reshuffling of the game Friday night, Athens’ scheduled game against Jackson will be played Feb. 16.

@j_flann10

jf913115@ohio.edu