Noah's Ark: Bernie enters the race

On Tuesday, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders announced he would be running for President again. Hardline democrats have been frustrated with Sanders because while he routinely proclaims himself an independent and criticizes Democrats, he runs for president as a Democrat.

Democrats sort of have a right to be angry because well,  it is somewhat Sanders’ fault, but not entirely. 

There are much larger broad institutional issues at play that in all likelihood will never change, but nonetheless the are the reason Sanders exists politically in the sometimes frustrating capacity he does.

For starters, the rigid two-party system that dominates American politics is partially to blame. Sanders doesn’t hide the fact he is extremely far left. He rejects many of the capitalist ideals that are intertwined into the American identity. Most of his platform if about turning out economic system on its head and that's why he is somewhat of an outcast. Even some of the most liberal democrats, such as Elizabeth Warren another presidential hopeful, identify as capitalists, big government capitalists, but capitalists nonetheless.  

This is why Sanders is stuck in a strange political limbo. He has to have some sort of party affiliation, either Democrat or Republican, to garner votes, but he falls much further left on the spectrum than the broader Democratic platform. So what is he to do besides reject aspects of it while still using it to his advantage?

Also working against Sanders and in favor of the two party system is plurality voting. Plurality gives the seats to the candidates who receive the highest percentage of votes rather than proportionally representing all candidates who receive a share of the votes. There is a market for an American Socialist party, but it's so small it will never receive enough votes to hold seats in Washington. 

If a Socialist party can’t win a senate seat how could it have a shot at the Presidential office? 

Democratic Socialism has slowly gained traction in recent years as a legitimate economic option in America. Whether it's a revolt born out of the 2008 recession or a legitimate shift in ideology still remains to be seen, but like it or not there is some niche place for it in American government these days. 

This is where Sanders has the opportunity to excite anti-free market capitalists, attract the economically disgruntled, and irritate traditional Democrats. 

Many more centrist Democrats still see a totally free-market as a way to achieve affordable education and healthcare if they can implement government influence and spending into the market, but this is a tired idea we have heard for years. Sanders excites voters by offering a truly revolutionary solution. It may not have all the answers, but it is at the very least an alternative to the age-old promise of taxing the one-percent s in a way that will actually bring about change. 

Where Democrats have a reason to be frustrated is the party is doing the exact same thing they in 2016. Bernie is a huge name that will bring in voters, but odds are he won’t win the DNC nomination and will ultimately divide the parties votes among two or more candidates which will open up the door for another four years of Trump. 

In the first 24 hours following the announcement of his candidacy Sanders raised $5.9 million, far surpassing any other Democratic candidate. Whether Democrats like it or not Sanders will be a major player in 2020. 

Ultimately the fate of the Democratic party in 2020 will be decided by their ability to unite they party behind one single candidate and if that's possible is yet to be seen. 

Noah Wright is an undecided sophomore studying at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Noah? Tweet him @NoahCampaign.