Ohio senior Cameron Kelly wrestles SIUE’s Lucas Bernal during a match Feb. 9 in The Convo.

Wrestling: Cam Kelly looks to finish his Ohio career as a champion

There are names of 108 Mid-American Conference champions displayed in Ohio’s wrestling room. Cam Kelly plans on making that 109.

The senior from Bellbrook has been one of the Bobcats’ best this season, boasting a 15-2 record with just one dual remaining this season.

He has also been the best in the MAC in the 141-pound weight class. Kelly is 7-0 against conference foes, which will likely earn him the top seed at the MAC Tournament in March. 

“My expectations are to win it, but I don’t necessarily put much thought into who thinks I’m going to win it,” Kelly said. 

He has every reason to believe that he will win it after he defeated two nationally ranked opponents, including 2018 All-American Sa’Derian Perry of Old Dominion, in just the last two weeks.

After finishing fourth in last year’s MAC tournament in the 133-pound class, Kelly has found what works this season: simplicity. 

“Not worrying about what his name is, or what school he goes to,” he said. “When I don’t worry about those things, and I just worry about what I set out to do each match, that’s when I find the most success.”

Kelly’s road to the championship won’t be easy, though. He will likely face Missouri’s Jaydin Eierman, who is ranked third in the country and first in the MAC. Eierman is also fourth in the country for all weight classes with 13 pins this season.

Kelly may also have to go back up against Perry and Bryan Lantry, both opponents that he upset in February.

The senior does realize that this could be his last go around in the Bobcat uniform. 

“I’m just soaking it all in,” he said. I’m thankful for each time I get to compete, each time I get to practice with my team or travel with my team.”

The looming end to his career has made him better.

“I’ve been the most relaxed, so it’s a blessing in disguise,” he said.

As for life after wrestling, Kelly will always be involved with the sport. 

“I’ll always stay involved with wrestling, definitely with wherever I’m living, and the local high school teams,” Kelly said.

With the season coming to a close next month, Cam Kelly wants to finish his time as a Bobcat with his name on a wall.

@Scott_cThomas11

st610417@ohio.edu