Baseball: Ohio swept by Cal Baptist in four games

Ohio failed to win a game in its four-game series against Cal Baptist this weekend at James W. Totman Stadium in Riverside, California.

The Bobcats struggled to find any offense against the Lancers, who remained undefeated in their first year as an NCAA Division I team. Ohio was outscored 26-8 in the series and never had more than six hits in a game.

Here’s what happened in each game:

Friday

After it scored a run on two hits in the first inning, Ohio’s offense was shut down by Cal Baptist’s Travis Booth in a 7-1 defeat.

Booth entered to pitch in the third inning and allowed only two hits and struck out nine batters in 5 2/3 innings while Cal Baptist (9-0) supported Booth with a steady flow of runs.

Kenny Ogg, who made his second start of the year for Ohio, pitched 4 2/3 innings and allowed four runs, all earned, on nine hits and two walks.

Ohio mustered only five hits and recorded one hit after the fifth inning.

Saturday

The Bobcats’ offensive drought continued Saturday in both games of their doubleheader. Ohio lost the first game, 7-4, and the second game, 4-1, after it struggled to place runners on base and build rallies

Ohio combined for just 10 hits and two walks, both of which came in the first game. Dan McCauley was the only batter from Ohio to record a multi-hit game after he recorded a single and double in the second game.

Freshman Joe Rock made his second start of the season in the first game and allowed five runs, four earned, on four hits and four walks in five innings. Redshirt freshman Jack Liberatore pitched a cleaner start in game two, but still took a loss after he allowed three runs, none earned, on four hits and three walks in 5 1/3 innings pitched.

Sunday

Ohio needed its offense to find life early Sunday after it allowed three runs in the first two innings of the series finale, but it finished with just four hits in a 8-2 loss that extended its losing streak to five games.

Rudy Rott was the only player on the Bobcats to have a multi-hit day after he doubled for Ohio’s first hit in the fourth inning and homered for Ohio’s first run in the seventh inning. Sebastian Fabik and McCauley, who also homered, were the only other batters that recorded hits for the Bobcats.

Freshman Eamon Horwedel started for Ohio and allowed three runs, three earned, on seven hits and one walk in four innings. 

What’s next

Ohio (1-6) will make its second trip of the season to Spartanburg, South Carolina, from March 1-3 to play three games against South Carolina Upstate. The Bobcats played the Spartans last season and won one of three games.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu