Ohio’s Jake Houston (#11, left) passes to teammate Gianni Evangelisti (#7) during the Bobcats' game against Illinois on Nov. 7. (FILE)

Hockey: Jake Houston and Gianni Evangelisti selected for Team USA at World University Games

Two Ohio skaters have been selected to compete for Team USA in the 2019 Winter World University Games. 

Juniors Jake Houston and Gianni Evangelisti were both selected as a part of the 22-player team that will play in Krasnoyarsk, Russia, on March 1-9. 

“It’s a tremendous honor for our program and those two players in particular to be named to the U.S. team,” coach Sean Hogan said. “It’s a great accomplishment.”

Houston and Evangelisti will miss the regular season finale series against Kent State, as well as Ohio’s annual Ice Ghost charity game.

The roster consists of both NCAA and American Collegiate Hockey Association players. Nine of the players come from the Central States Collegiate Hockey League teams, with Lindenwood having six representatives, which is the most.

Ohio sent four players and Hogan, who was the U.S.’ head coach, to the 2017 Winter World University Games in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Current Bobcat Matt Rudin was on the roster two years ago, along with former players Joey Breslin, Matt Hartman and Mike LaFrenier.

The Bobcats have sent 20 players to play for the U.S. since 2001. Breslin was selected for both the 2015 and 2017 games. Hogan, along with being the head coach in 2017, was an assistant in 2013 and 2015. 

The United States’ first game will be March 1 against the Czech Republic. 

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu