Ohio's Atiya Spaulding runs in 200m dash at Ohio Track and Field's Cherry Blossom Invitational on April 7, 2018. (FILE)

Track and Field: Ohio's Night in Columbus at Buckeye Tune-Up

Ohio competed in its seventh meet of the indoor season on Friday night at Ohio State’s Buckeye Tune-Up. The matinee meet was the last of the Bobcats’ regular indoor season.

Distance Events

Emily Deering jump-started the day for Ohio by breaking a school record that stood for 40 years, placing second in the 600-meter dash with a time of 1:33.81. Her time secured runner-up finishes for the second consecutive meet and earned Deering her third top three placements in as many meets. Stephanie Pierce finished behind her senior teammate with a time of 1:39.32.

Rosie Lamb made her collegiate indoor debut in the mile run and placed sixth with a time of 5:13.75. 

Melissa Koziol grabbed a third place spot in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:16.65. Payton Grigsby also competed in her first collegiate indoor meet and placed 10th after running 2:26.03.

Alyssa Atkinson captured the lone individual victory for the Bobcats on the day when she placed first in the 3000-meter run with a time of 9:59.83. Madison Sury was close behind, finishing third at 10:03.88. The senior now has top-five finishes in back-to-back meets for Ohio.

Field Events

Abby Moore placed sixth out of 22 women competing in the weight throw, finishing with a mark of 17.67 meters.

Halie Sciury was the final Bobcat to make her indoor debut in the long jump, where she placed sixth with a jump of 4.86 meters. Tajah Haley was right behind her with a mark of 4.72 meters.

Atiya Spaulding earned the fifth spot in the high jump by jumping 1.58 meters. Haley also competed in this event, placing eighth with a jump of 1.53 meters.

Ohio did not compete in seven of the 16 events on Friday: 300-meter dash, 60-meter dash, 60-meter hurdles, 400-meter dash, 4x400-meter relay, pole vault and triple jump.

What’s Next?

Ohio will have a few days off to practice before sending several athletes to the two-day Mid-American Conference Championships at the Kent State Fieldhouse in Kent, Ohio. The meet will begin on Friday and continue into Saturday.  

@DomMassa12

dm968315@ohio.edu