Cadet Isaac Culbert, a member of the color guard, high fives Chase Burnett (left) before the 2018 9/11 Stair Challenge at Peden Stadium. (FILE)

OU ranked one of nation’s best military-friendly schools

Viqtory Media, a veteran-owned company and publisher of G.I. Jobs magazine, ranked Ohio University as one of the nation’s best military-friendly schools for the eighth year in a row.

OU is the only Tier-II institution in Ohio to be ranked on the list.

A military-friendly school is a college or university that not only views service members as part of the United States military, but also as students to ensure academic success. There are six standards that are required to be met in order to qualify as a military-friendly school: Academic policies and compliance, admissions and orientation, culture and commitment, financial aid and assistance, graduation and career, and military student support retention. OU passed all standards with an average of 57 percent.

At OU, members of the Veterans and Military Student Services Center receive several benefits such as free tutoring, assistance in transitioning from military to academic life, priority course registration and military-focused learning communities.

“We work very closely with the Bursar Office and Veterans Affairs to ensure students’ educational benefits are applied for and allocated properly,” Dave Edwards, director of Veterans and Military Student Services Center at OU said.

Viqtory Media measures success based on how well an institution’s recruiting program plays a role in potential military students and educates them once they’re enrolled.

OU has enhanced benefits to its military students by providing scholarship opportunities and pays for the tuition of all types of military students, such as the Yellow Ribbon Program. 

The Veterans and Military Student Services Center also provides students the opportunity to make connections with other military members through three external organizations including The Combat Veterans Club, Student Veterans of America and Military Dependent Club. 

“We provide an opportunity for veterans, active duty military, guard and reserve personnel and dependents to enjoy and grow during their time at OU,” Edwards said. 

In addition to scholarships and connections, The Veterans and Military Student Services Center also works with the Career and Leadership Development Center to help create career opportunities with businesses that are military friendly for job preparation. 

“We are proud to help service members, veterans and their families achieve success through an education at OU,” Ohio University President Duane Nellis said in a news release.

@ColtAustenW

Cw506217@ohio.edu