Jan Huebenthal will be the first assistant director of the LGBT Center. (Provided via Ohio University)

OU announces assistant director for LGBT Center

Ohio University’s Office for Diversity and Inclusion announced Jan Huebenthal will be the first assistant director of the LGBT Center.

According to a news release, Huebenthal will help to further the LGBT Center’s mission by providing support to the center’s communications, administration and outreach efforts. He will also assist with development, implementation and assessment of the university’s LGBT programs and efforts both on and off campus.

“I'm thrilled to be joining the Ohio University’s LGBT Center as its first assistant director,” Huebenthal said in the release. “During my time on campus, I met with several students whose wit, spirit and fierce commitment inspired me, and I know that combined with my passion for creating learning spaces that affirm each person's lived experiences, we will, together, build a solid foundation for the LGBT Center as it evolves.”

Huebenthal is a native of Hamburg, Germany. He is currently completing his Ph.D in American studies at the College of William and Mary, where he is also a teaching fellow in the Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies program. 

Huebenthal also served as the Graduate Fellow of the W&M LGBTIQ Research Project: Documenting the LGBTIQ Past in Virginia and as the assistant director of the W&M Global Film Festival while at William and Mary. Since 2015, he has also volunteered as an HIV/Health outreach specialist with the Richmond-based non-profit Health Brigade.

“I’m thrilled that Jan has joined Ohio University to help build a strong support system for our LGBT Center,” Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion Gigi Secuban said. “Jan’s international experiences, and his belief in the power of community engagement, will help further OHIO’s commitment to fostering supportive and collaborative environments that enable individuals to become their best selves.”

He will begin his position on March 18.

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu