Driving Thoughts: Shelter dogs need love too

If you’re like me, you’re a college student who loves animals yet is unable to keep one in the dorm. This is where shops like Petland on East State Street come in handy. While I may not be able afford a dog or even be able to keep one in the dorm, thanks to these shops, I can go and play with them as much as I’d like. 

This idea of letting people come in and playing with animals who are waiting to be adopted is something I’ve only been exposed to recently. While I don’t know if most adoption centers do something like this, I feel that it should be adopted by all of them, mainly for the benefits provided to the animals. 

While these animals are waiting to find their forever home, they can become unsocialized with people, thus causing them to become mean or cold to possible adopters — which in turn makes them less likely to be adopted. Adoption centers that allow people to come in and spend time with the animals are able to circumvent this damaging effect, therefore making their animals more friendly and more likely to be adopted.

This opportunity also provides people who are either unable to afford an animal or keep one at home the chance to interact with animals by playing with them or just helping out around the shelter. For some, this can be seen as therapeutic and help to relieve stress much in the same way as having a dog or cat at in the home. It also can help see if an animal is the right thing for them to have in their lives. 

While working with these animals can bring a sense of pride and joy, it can also make people feel a little sad for these animals because they have to leave them after playing with them for so long. This feeling can lead them to adopt animals rather than just buying them from a breeder. That gives animals a second chance at having a happy forever home. 

If you’re someone who loves animals and wants to do more than just play with them, I would recommend looking into volunteering at a shelter. These shelters do a lot for the communities around them by keeping strays off the street and by taking in animals that are unable to be kept by their owners. They are always looking for volunteers to help out, and, while you more than likely won’t be paid, it allows for great skill building. It also lets you help out animals that are unfortunate enough to not have a loving home. 

So next time you’re feeling really stressed out, take a trip to the local shelter and play with some adorable animals who are also super stressed out. 

Logan Carr is a freshman studying anthropology at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Logan? Email him at lc300918@ohio.edu