Members of Faculty Senate meet on Feb. 2018.

Faculty Senate: Senators will vote on two resolutions regarding the Faculty Handbook

Faculty Senate will meet Monday to vote on two resolutions regarding clarifications of the Faculty Handbook. 

The first resolution is to correct the process for complaints involving sexual misconduct, which will allow complainants to appeal the action of the provost to the president within 21 days of being informed of the provost's action.

The resolution to correct the process for complaints involving sexual misconduct includes that the final report should include sufficient detail of the review processes. That permits an assessment of the reasons for determining any recommendations. 

The recommendation does not include initiating loss of tenure or dismissal proceedings, which is referred back to the department or school. 

The second resolution is to revise faculty classifications. According to the revised policy, assistant, associate and research professor are solely supported on external funds, such as grants or contracts.

Those positions do not hold faculty rank, faculty status nor teaching responsibilities. The research positions/people are not governed nor protected by the Faculty Handbook. Suitably qualified appointees may teach regularly scheduled classes upon the issuance of an additional contract specifying both an appropriate salary and faculty classification, according to the resolution.

The meeting will begin with a presentation from Ohio University President Duane Nellis. 

The next meeting will take place on April 8 in Walter Hall 235. 

@sarahmpenix

sp936115@ohio.edu