Photo via Oliver and Friends Farm Rescue and Sanctuary Facebook.

Fun News Friday: Chicken gets around via wheelchair; dog helps family escape house fire

The first week back from spring break might have felt incredibly long, but you made it. Whether you’re fantasizing about summer break or your weekend plans, hit the pause button and enjoy some of the fun news of the week:

Intern by day, superhero by night

Some fictional characters were credited for aiding in U.S. President Donald Trump’s annual economic report.

Names like Peter Parker, Jabba the Hutt and Bruce Wayne were found among the list of real student interns. A screenshot of the list was posted on Twitter and was later confirmed as a prank by the Council of Economic Advisors. The CEA said that the names were meant to draw attention to what “superheroes” the white house interns are and get their names out to the public. 

The prank appears to be a running joke. Last year, Star Trek character names were listed as workers for the White House CEA.

Finland is thriving

The U.N. Sustainable Development Solutions Network’s 2019 World Happiness Report was released, and Finland once again took first place.

The report ranks more than 150 countries based on factors like GDP, life expectancy and freedom. Finland’s safety, bounty of nature and free education have all helped Finns keep their title of happiest nation for another year in a row.

Other nearby countries, such as Denmark and Sweden, also ranked amongst the top ten. The United States fell short of the top ten, placing nineteenth. That rank is one lower than last year’s report and is widely due to drug addiction.

Many countries in Africa went up in ranking this year. Benin, for example, went up 50 places.

A chicken with wheels

A rescue farm in Luther, Oklahoma, helped a overweight Cornish hen by giving her a wheelchair.

The farm, Oliver and Friends Farm Rescue and Sanctuary, has helped animals like puppies in the past. The owners said that people thought it was strange that they helped out a chicken, but they want to show compassion towards all animals in need.

The chicken, named Colorado, was rescued from a factory farm in her namesake. Oliver and Friends took in about 25 of those chickens, all of which were growing rapidly due to their upbringing on the farm. Colorado grew so much that her legs could no longer support her. Thus, her “wheelchair” was created. 

Colorado’s wheelchair is made out of plastic pipes and other loose materials. Currently, the Oliver and Friends workers believe that none of the other chickens will need wheelchairs. A diet should help the chickens lose weight and remain healthy. While people may criticize the shelter for making a wheelchair just for a chicken, the workers believe in helping any animal get a chance at life.

Dog to the rescue

A neighborhood dog helped a family escape a house fire Wednesday in Florida.

Amber Walker was wide awake Wednesday at about 12:30 a.m. because of her dog, Angel. Angel was acting strange that night and led Walker to look outside her window. Walker saw flames coming from her neighbor’s garage and immediately took action.

Walker and her brother rushed to the house and began to loudly knock on the door. While the home experienced damage, all family members were able to make it out due to Angel’s warning.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu