Texting in Class: 'Love, Death and Robots' is better than expected

If you haven’t seen the new Netflix series Love, Death and Robots, there’s probably a reason for it. I myself would never normally venture into a show as such, especially with a title like that, but I had someone recommend it to me so I thought, “Why not?”

Upon first glance this little mini-series doesn’t make any sense at all, and that, my friend, is because it doesn't. Even after watching all of the episode I’m left with so many questions. None of the episodes go together, they just act as variety clips. Among them are some of the obvious like Love, Death and Robots

I will put out a warning that some of these episodes are gory – hence why the rating is TV-MA – just know that it’s there for a reason. There’s also a handful of nudity in some of the clips, but again that’s why it’s for a mature audience: even if it is all animated, it still looks very real in some cases. When I watched the first episode I wasn’t sure what to expect and I didn’t know what was going to happen, but I was intrigued in what was going to happen next. At parts I did have to cover my eyes, but after the first episode I was sucked into this weird, messed up display of things that aren’t real. 

Each episode is a different length of time: some are ten minutes, sixteen minutes, some even seven minutes. They all differ in that sense and they are also all different animations, some looking as if they could be real life and others looking like the animation used to make kids cartoon shows. Not all of them are gory and full of naked people, and I would say there is a handful that are just supposed to make you laugh. After some of the episodes, that’s the only thing you’ll need. 

Although it looks like a dumb Netflix original series, I would say just give it a try and don’t skip out after the first episode because I almost did. Take it from me, this is never something that I would normally click on and binge in only three days, but you could easily do it in one day. Even though it was almost a little too weird and random for me, I would have to say that if they came out with a second little season filled with these episodes I wouldn’t be mad about it. I would definitely watch all of them, just maybe with someone else in the room with me. I don’t recommend watching this right before you go to bed. I mistakenly did that, and, to say the least, I had a hard time sleeping that night. 

Rachel Laher is an undecided freshman studying at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Rachel? Email her rl218617@ohio.edu.