New Music Friday: The Jonas Brothers are back with single ‘Sucker’; Solange drops surprise new album

It’s Friday, and that means new music. From big time-albums (Hozier’s sophomore album) to long-awaited singles (Did you know Carly Rae Jepsen’s back?) the music world flourished with releases from every genre imaginable. With the new month beginning, it’s about time you refresh your music playlists — just in time for spring break. So without further ado, here are some highlights from the week’s music releases: 

I don’t think we’re watching Disney Channel anymore

In has been more than five years, but the wait is over — the Jonas Brothers are back. With the pop-infused sing, “Sucker ” — and its star-studded music video — it seems the all-grown-up trio is back in its element. The single features the silky vocals of both Nick and Joe accompanied by electro-pop with catchy melodies that’ll be in your head all day. The music video has appearances by all three of the brothers’ significant others, and shows, if you didn’t already know, the Jonas Brothers aren’t on Disney Channel anymore. The single is mature, it’s catchy and it’s making every 20-something former fan overjoyed.

Just a heads up, this isn’t a Lorde song

If you’re a fan of alternative rock or pop, you’ve probably heard of K. Flay. With hit singles like “Blood In The Cut” and “High Enough,” the 33-year-old has established herself in the genre. But with her latest single, it wouldn’t be too hard to confuse the American with a well-known singer from New Zealand — Lorde. “Bad Vibes” isn’t a bad song, it just doesn’t sound like a K. Flay song. With a snappy synth beat opening and a similar vocal style to the “Royals” singer, the single could be straight off of Lorde’s sophomore album Melodrama. To digress, “Bad Vibes” really isn’t a bad song. With a strong melody and catchy beat, the song is perfect for cutting off all those people who carry bad vibes. 

It wouldn’t be the music industry without a surprise album release

Following up her 2016 release A Seat at the Table, R&B singer Solange dropped an album, When I Get Home. Pulling on the ethereal and airy nuances of her of music, Solange reminisces on origins and traditions. Prior to the album’s release, the artist took over BlackPlanet and posted photos and snippets of video depicting the themes throughout the album, often paying homage to her hometown of Houston. The album is a foray of everything Solange — which is a lot — but just in case, she also has contributions from Tyler, The Creator (“Down With the Clique”), Gucci Mane (“My Skin My Logo”) and more. It’s exquisitely produced, a breath of fresh air and at times a bit avant-garde, but nonetheless it’s sure deserving of a listen or two. 

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu