Ohio’s Nathan Mallott hits the ball during the game against Marshall on Tuesday, March 26. The Bobcats lost to the Thundering Herd 6-1.

Baseball: Ohio's hitting struggles continue in loss to Marshall

Ohio needed a late spark against Marshall on Tuesday night.

There was none.

The Bobcats’ bats went cold with the weather on a chilly night in Athens, and Ohio (5-17) recorded just two hits after the third inning at Bob Wren Stadium in a 6-1 loss.

In fact, the Thundering Herd had more runs, six, than the Bobcats had hits, five. 

“I wasn’t in love with our approach tonight,” coach Rob Smith said. “But a couple of guys did a really good job.”

The approach was clearly lacking, as it only led to one run for Ohio.

That run came when Cole Revels doubled and scored Treyben Funderburg from second base. Revels then tried to extend his double but was caught at third.

Ohio needed those rare hits after it entered the bottom of the sixth inning losing 3-1. The Bobcats were able to get one hit, but left two on base to end the inning. 

Marshall capitalized on Ohio’s inability to score when Tucker Linder smashed a two-run home run to left field, which extended the lead to four. Marshall tacked on one more in the eighth, when Elvis Peralta Jr. scored on a passed ball.

For a short time, it looked as if Ohio might make a late surge, but even two runners on base with no outs was not enough to bring any home. Michael Richardson grounded into a double-play ball to end the inning, and this ended Ohio’s last legitimate scoring hopes.

Ohio faces Bowling Green this weekend in a three-game series. It will be Ohio’s second Mid-American Conference series of the season. 

@Scott_cthomas11

St610417@ohio.edu