Jason Carter prepares to shoot the ball during Ohio's game against Kent State on Tuesday, Jan. 15. The Bobcats lost 66-52. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Jason Carter transfers to Xavier

Editor’s note: This story will be updated as it unfolds.

Ohio’s leading scorer, redshirt sophomore forward Jason Carter, will transfer to Xavier, the Ohio athletic department confirmed Monday to The Post.

Carter averaged 16.5 points and 6.7 rebounds per game this season on his way to third-team All-Mid-American Conference honors. He still has two years of eligibility remaining.

His departure will be tough for the Bobcats to replace.

He also was a member of the All-MAC Freshman team in 2016-17 for coach Saul Phillips, but when Phillips’ contract wasn’t renewed following a first round exit from the MAC Tournament, Carter’s future in Athens was uncertain.

Jeff Boals was named the 19th coach in Ohio program history on March 17. His arrival is exciting for the fans and supporters, but he didn’t recruit the current roster. Carter was a Phillips recruit.

“We appreciate everything that Jason Carter has done during his time at Ohio,“ Boals said Monday night in a text. “We wish him nothing but the best for him in the future.”

Two other Bobcats, Teyvion Kirk and Torey James, are both in the transfer portal, and they’re currently shopping their options. Entering the transfer portal does not guarantee a transfer.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu