Ohio’s Alex Day (#10) throws a ball to first base during the Bobcats’ game against Bowling Green on Friday, March 22. (FILE)

Softball: Northern Kentucky scouting report and how to watch

After a successful home opening series against conference rival Bowling Green, Ohio will host Northern Kentucky on Tuesday in a mid-week nonconference game.

The Bobcats (21-10, 3-0 Mid-American Conference) swept the Falcons behind the active bats of Katie Yun and Morgan Geno. Yun, a sophomore shortstop, has hit six home runs in the last four games and boasts a .415 batting average. Through 31 games, she’s hit 11 home runs and 24 RBI.

Geno, the designated player, capped off her weekend with a walk-off single in Game One of Saturday’s doubleheader, and in the ladder game, she hit a grand slam to help cement the Bobcats’ come-from-behind victory. On the season, the senior holds a .379 batting average with 11 home runs and 45 RBI.

Alongside solid offense, pitcher Madi McCrady was mostly dominant in the circle for Ohio. She appeared in all three games for Ohio and had 22 strikeouts on the weekend.

The Bobcats will look for its trio to maintain its high-level production against the Norse.

Game information

Opponent: Northern Kentucky (7-18, 0-3 Horizon League)

First pitch: 5 p.m.

Venue: Ohio Softball Field

How to watch: ohiobobcats.com

Meet the opponent

In the circle

No. 19 Taylor Ginther (5-9, 2.82 ERA, 95.2 IP, 45 SO)

No. 24 Hailey Whitmer (1-0, 7.50 ERA, 18.0 IP, 13 SO)

No. 1 Emily Koperdak (1-9, 8.01 ERA, 51.2 IP, 16 SO)

On deck

No. 2 Madi Mulder (73 AB, .301 avg., 16 RBI)

No. 6 Toree Stalter (71 AP, .209 avg., 10 RBI)

No. 9 Zahrya McFarland (63 AB, .349 avg., nine RBI)

Recent games

Northern Kentucky is in the midst of a five-game losing streak with No. 5 coming in a 1-0 defeat to IUPUI on March 23. The Norse have been the victims of two run-ruled games this season with both games ending in the fifth inning.

Prior to its five-game skid, Northern Kentucky was on a three-game win streak from March 15-16 with wins over Southern Utah and Idaho State.

Last time out

This is the first meeting of the two programs. Northern Kentucky, in its 33rd year as a program, has amassed a record of 804-732-1 prior to the start of this season. The Norse became an NCAA Division I program at the start of the 2013 season.

Prior to the start of the 2019 season, Ohio has amassed a program record of 879-956-5 in 44 years.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu