Members of Ohio University’s Graduate Student Senate meet on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018, to discuss university and national matters. (FILE)

Graduate Student Senate: Members will vote on resolutions for president election appeal

Graduate Student Senate will vote on two resolutions Tuesday that include the results of the appeals board regarding the GSS presidential election.

Dareen Tadros was elected as the GSS president for the next academic year in February. An appeals board was formed to investigate the appeal made by Brett Fredericksen, a candidate for president in GSS elections. 

The resolutions will reject the certification of the election results for all executive offices and form an independent elections board to oversee a new election. 

Another resolution is a request from Student Senate to GSS. GSS is formally requesting Student Senate for information involving funding for graduate student organizations and GSS through Student Senate and SAC with no avail from the last five years, according to the agenda. 

GSS is also requesting the attendance of Student Senate membership for the past five years and specifically highlighting the attendance of the graduate students on Student Senate. 

The resolution will be sent to Student Senate executives and advisers, OU President Duane  Nellis, Executive Vice President and Provost Chaden Djalali, Vice President for Student Affairs Pina, Student Trustees Faith Voinovich and Austin McClain, the Board of Trustees, Vice President for Finance and Administration Deb Shaffer and the Graduate College.

GSS will also vote on a resolution to request support for Graduate Council and Faculty Senate regarding the independence of GSS from Student Senate. The resolution will ask for support to endorse GSS as being an independent and autonomous body that is unambiguous to their constituency group.

Another resolution will be voted on to support Student Senate’s bill. The bill was passed at last Wednesday’s Student Senate meeting and affirmed GSS’s representation of graduate students at Ohio University.

GSS will also vote on amending their constitution, which will now limit their executive officers to treasurer, vice president and president. It would also change the wording in their constitution to now state rules and procedures, rather than bylaws and policies and procedures. Changes and procedures regarding rules and procedures will also be voted on.

Another resolution will require survivor advocacy, mandatory reporting and counseling resources on all syllabi after concerns and report over sexual assault and misconduct increased on campus during the Fall Semester. 

The resolution will also be sent to Nellis, Djalali, Pina, Graduate College Interim Dean David Koonce, Director for Center of Teaching and Learning Tim Vickers, Faculty Senate Chair Joe McLaughlin and Curriculum Committee Chair Sara Helfrich.

GSS will also vote on a resolution which will equitably compensate the vice president and treasurer for GSS at an amount comparable to Student Senate.

@ColtAustenW

cw506217@ohio.edu