Ohio men’s basketball coach Jeff Boals speaks at a news conference on March 18 in The Convo. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: A breakdown of each player who joined Ohio on National Signing Day

The Jeff Boals era at Ohio is only a month old, but the new coach has already made a splash on one of the biggest days of the college basketball calendar.

The Bobcats added three commits to their roster as the April signing period started and filled many of the potential holes left over after Jason Carter’s transfer to Xavier and Teyvion Kirk and Torey James’ move to the transfer portal.

“We want people who want to be here for the right reasons,“ Boals said in his introductory press conference. “If the case happens that they don't want to be here, then we'll do everything we can. I'll help them achieve their goals and find success."

Here’s things to know about each incoming freshmen Ohio added Wednesday:

Ben Roderick

Roderick is a 6-foot-5 forward from Olentangy Liberty High School in Powell. The three-star recruit is the highest-rated prospect Ohio has signed since D.J. Cooper in 2009 and won the Ohio Gatorade Player of the Year award in March.

He averaged 27.9 points, 7.6 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 2.1 steals in his senior season and should provide Ohio with a capable big body who can handle the ball and shoot from outside. His scoring ability will be needed; Kirk and Carter were Ohio’s top two scorers last season before they transferred.

Roderick shined in the Division I state semifinal, scoring 25 points and grabbing nine rebounds despite the Patriots’ loss to Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary’s.

Marvin Price

Price is a 6-foot-5 forward from Patterson High School in Baltimore, Maryland, and is the third best prospect Ohio has ever signed behind only Cooper and Roderick. 

He won All-Metro co-Player of the Year honors as a sophomore before transferring to Huntington (W.Va.) Prep for his junior season, but returned to Patterson for his senior year and averaged 21.4 points and 10.3 rebounds.

Price helped Patterson win the state championship after scoring 31 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.

Miles Brown

Brown is a 6-foot point guard from Northstar Christian Academy in Rochester, New York, and was placed on the Second Team All-USA New York by USA Today in his senior season after he became the Section V all-time leading scorer.

He is also the brother of Michael Brown, who is expected to join Ohio as a walk-on in the fall.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu