Ohio's Michaela Dorsey swings the bat during the Bobcats’ game against Bowling Green on Friday, March 22, 2019. (FILE)

Softball: Kent State scouting report and how to watch

Ohio will be on the road for the first time since early March when it travels to Kent State for a mid-week Mid-American Conference doubleheader.

The Bobcats (24-11, 5-1 MAC) are coming off a successful home stretch in which they only lost one out of their seven games. In that stretch, they swept MAC East foe Bowling Green and won their series against Northern Illinois behind a strong fifth inning.

This is the first conference road trip for Ohio, which will rack up some gas mileage in the month of April. It travels to Kent State, Central Michigan, Akron and Ohio State in the span of two weeks.

Game information

Opponent: Kent State (12-17, 2-1 MAC)

First pitch: 1 and 3 p.m.

Venue: Diamond at Dix (Kent, Ohio)

How to watch: Visit kentstatesports.com

Meet the opponent

In the circle

No. 26 Andrea Scali (8-6, 3.75 ERA, 80.1 IP, 121 SO)

No. 25 Madi Huck (3-7, 6.30 ERA, 60.0 IP, 27 SO)

On deck

No. 4 Kennadie Goth (63 AB, .365 avg., two RBI)

No. 7 Bailey Brownfield (82 AB, .354 avg., 16 RBI) 

No. 18 Carlee Selle (70 AB, .343 avg., 11 RBI)

Recent games

Because of inclement weather, Kent State cancelled its home series against fellow MAC foe Ball State that was scheduled for March 29-30. Prior to the cancellation, the Golden Flashes had found their groove. They won three of their last five that included two games to conference rival Toledo.

While its below .500 record indicates a rough go for Kent State, it has faced some of the country’s toughest teams that includes ranked opponents Louisiana, LSU, Arizona, James Madison, Baylor, Minnesota and Michigan.

The Golden Flashes went 2-9 against their nationally-ranked opponents with their lone two wins in a sweep against Baylor.

Last time out

Ohio swept the season series against Kent State last year in a combined 26-9 effort. The Bobcats set their program record for most total runs in a game with 22 and set a then-record for most home runs with eight.

Ohio also defeated Kent State 3-1 on its way to the MAC Tournament championship game.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu