Daniel Palmer and Joe Fradette of Sneakthief. (Provided by Daniel Palmer)

The Union to host Sneakthief as they debut their first EP

Sneakthief, an acoustic pop-punk band from Athens, will debut its first EP this weekend.

The band will play on Friday at the Union Bar and Grill, 18 W Union St. at 9 p.m. The self-titled EP consisting of six songs will be released on all music platforms midnight Friday. 

Daniel Palmer, Joe Fradette and Nolan Quigley are the members featured on the album. However, Palmer and Fradette will perform live with bassist Rob Fellman for their show at the Union.

The six songs on the EP consist of “Sistine Chapel”, “Choke Me Out”, “Fallacy”, “Slow Dance”, “Graduation” and “Back of my Eyes”.

Palmer and Fradette mentioned that the song “Choke Me Out” sounds vulgar, but it actually is about needing change.

“I’m trying to guide people into this new kind of thought and way to analyze the way that they interact with things,” Palmer said. “So the whole EP is about understanding who you are through varying levels.”

Stems and No Stars will be the opening acts for Sneakthief on Friday. Stems, from Columbus, is a rock rap band, and No Stars, from Athens, is soft indie.

The band wants listeners to be able to interpret the album in their own way and does not want to guide them in a preferred direction of what each song means.

“We want people to be able to interpret the album their own way, but have some sort of idea of what we’re conveying,” Fradette said.

Sneakthief has performed at the Union multiple times. After its first performance, booking agent Scott Winland told the band he was willing to keep them on the list and allow it to continue playing shows at the Union. Their first performance at the Union was as an opener for the band Rock Canvas.

The band is hoping to have a small tour around Ohio summer 2019.

Sneakthief has been thorough in the creation of the album and they hope there are not any overlooked mistakes.

“Once it’s out, it’s out, and there’s nothing I can do about it.” Palmer said. “Any imperfection has to be part of the songs at this point.”

A jellyfish is the band’s logo and one will be included on the cover of their EP. The band has merchandise with their logo available on their bandcamp website.

Sneakthief recorded the EP in 3 Elliot Studios in Athens. Adam Rich was the mixer, recording engineer and master engineer for the album. 

Palmer believes the band’s music connects to listeners and he could tell its music meant something to people by the energy at its early performances.

“Even from our first show, I saw something that people latched onto,” Palmer said.

Palmer referred to the EP as an “anxious volcano.” He said there is a nervous energy underneath of it.

“It’s kind of funny with you, because since you do the main portion of the song writing, you’re able to explain how you were feeling,” Fradette said to Palmer, “But I feel nostalgia from all the energy at the shows we’ve played at.”

@hannahnoelburk

hb239417@ohio.edu