Ohio infielder Alex Day (#10) throws a fielded ball to first base during the Bobcats game against Northern Kentucky on March 26. The Bobcats beat the Norse 3-1. (File)

Softball: Ohio bounces back with series sweep of Akron

After traveling to Akron on Friday with the baggage of a four-game losing streak, Ohio left Saturday with a memorable souvenir from its trip: a season sweep of the Zips.  

Game One

Ohio defeated Akron 9-4 in the first of a three-game series. Ohio scored first in the first inning after Alex Day sent the ball to the left field wall to bring home Katie Yun. Both teams would go scoreless until the fourth inning, another inning won by Ohio.

The Bobcats widened their lead after Day hit a home run. Ohio’s bats got hot after that. After a Natalie Alvarez double, a Caroline Spacek single and an Allie Englant triple, Ohio extended its lead to 9-0. Akron kept the game going with two runs of its own, but Ohio would cruise the rest of the way.  

Game Two 

Ohio started off the Saturday’s doubleheader with a dominant 9-1 victory in five innings. After being walked all Friday, Morgan Geno finally got a pitch she could swing at, and she sent it over the Lee Jackson Field wall. Ohio would extend its lead on its next at bat. Alvarez hit a home run foreshadowing a big day at the plate. The Zips’ lone run of the game came in the second with a solo home run off Madi McCrady. 

McCrady would keep the Zips scoreless for the rest of the game while the Bobcats gathered seven more runs off seven hits. 

Game Three

Ohio already had the series win locked up, but the Bobcats were determined not to leave Akron the way they came in: on a loss. Ohio secured the series sweep after a 13-5 win in six innings. 

Just like in the previous two games, Ohio struck first. After a Yun 2-run homer, the Bobcats led 2-0 after the first inning. Senior Mackenzie Brunswick homered in the second, giving the Bobcats more cushion. But it would be an Alvarez 3-run home run that would push the Bobcats into blowout territory.

What’s next

Ohio (28-16, 9-6 Mid-American Conference) will be back on the road this Tuesday in Columbus when the Bobcats face Ohio State in a non-conference matchup. First pitch is set for 6 p.m. 

@JL_Kirven 

jk810916@ohio.edu