From the Editor’s Desk: Log on, tune in to our digital options

There’s a special place in my heart for the print reader — the old-fashioned newspaper-with-morning-coffee kind of person. I know we have some readers whose only interaction with The Post is when they hold it in their hands every Thursday morning. 

While that’s great and all (we’re sticklers for the smell of newsprint in the morning), there’s so much more to The Post than this week’s print edition. In fact, thanks to a forward-thinking digital team, there are more ways than ever before to access The Post. If you really, truly wanted to, you could incorporate The Post into every part of your day.

While you’re enjoying your morning coffee and browsing your email, check out Post Haste, our daily newsletter. Brought to fruition by The Beat (formerly known as blogs staff), Post Haste is a vibrant mix that brings you the daily local and campus headlines along with your weather forecast and a few feel-good stories. 

Now that spring is here and that walk to class or work is a little more enjoyable, it’s the perfect time to tune into one of our five podcasts, available for free on Spotify and iTunes. Whether you’re interested in music, politics, student life, sports or films, you can bet the dedicated members of our podcast team have something to suit your taste. 

We know that historically, The Post hasn’t been your first stop for multimedia. But we want to change that. If you’ve never subscribed to our YouTube channel or checked out our Instagram stories, you’re missing out on a whole side of our publication — one that lets you easily access The Post without having to pick up the paper or log onto the website. 

With so many exciting ways to interact with The Post online, it’d be a shame if our readers limit themselves to the print product. 

You may notice that this week’s tabloid is a little bit lighter than usual. And yes, it’s weird for us, too. Rest assured, however, that this is nothing more than a very temporary measure to save on printing costs for a couple of weeks. It doesn’t mean that The Post is in trouble. Actually, it’s kind of the opposite. With strong leadership on our business side, we’re on the up-and-up once again, and we’re able to make these decisions that will ultimately help ensure that our editorial team doesn’t have to worry about finances.

We’re still in recovery mode from operating without a business manager for nearly a year. In some respects, we’re still trying to find our footing in a digital age. Judging by the awards we’ve been winning over the past few years, we’ve been doing a pretty OK job at that.

Like so many other publications across the globe, both collegiate and professional, we’ve learned to adapt. And as I wrote last week, it’s easy to get attached to tradition. But with strong digital options and so many ways to interact with The Post, things are only getting better.

Lauren Fisher is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Lauren at lf966614@ohio.edu or tweet her @Lauren__Fisher.