RILEY SCOTT

Best Athens Coffee Drinks

05.30.19

The best drinks to try from every Athens coffee shop

Riley Runnells / For The Post

Coffee shops are a staple of any town. Everyone knows their local go-to coffee spot, used for studying, hanging out with friends or a quick pick-me-up to get you through the day. Luckily for the people who are just getting settled into Ohio University, Athens is home to a plethora of local coffee shops. No matter what kind of atmosphere or coffee taste you go for, you will definitely be able to find the perfect local coffee house that will become your new home and break your bank account. Here are some of the best drinks for each coffee shop:

coffee

ILLUSTRATION | RILEY SCOTT

Donkey Coffee and Espresso - Power Chai

Donkey Coffee and Espresso is one of the coolest coffee houses in terms of atmosphere. There’s always great music playing, and the inside is complete with couches, comfortable chairs, tables and patio seating. There are so many great aspects about the coffee house, but by far the best drink to try is the Power Chai. It’s a normal chai tea latte, made either spicy or with a vanilla base, mixed with a shot of espresso. It’s a drink that’s delicious, but also a practical drink to give you an extra boost through your busy days.

Small: $4.75, Large: $5.05

Brenen’s Coffee Cafe - Milkyway

Brenen’s Coffee Cafe is one of the most popular coffee shops in Athens. While there are normal coffee options, there are also a lot of fun ones like the Nutty Irishman and Peppermint Patty. However, the best flavor to try is the Milkway, modeled after the candy bar. The fresh brewed espresso, rich chocolate, creamy caramel and steamed milk combine to form a delicious drink that will make your taste buds happy.

Small: $4.00, Medium: $4.45, Large: $4.90

Court Street Coffee - Court Street Mocha

Another popular coffee shop in Athens is Court Street Coffee, which, like Brenen’s, is right in the middle of Uptown and easy to access. Court Street’s signature coffee drink is the Court Street Mocha, and it’s also the best drink to try. Unlike the normal mocha drink with chocolate syrup, steamed milk and espresso, the Court Street Mocha has white chocolate and swirls of caramel to compliment the steamed milk and espresso. It’s a unique twist on a classic drink.

Medium: $4.55, Medium Iced: $4.65, Medium Frozen: $4.55

The Front Room Coffeehouse/Starbucks - Pumpkin Spice Latte

Though Starbucks isn’t a local coffee shop, going to the Front Room Coffee House in Baker Center is more fun than going to the regular Starbucks on Union Street. Front Room is a great place to study and hangout with friends, and it also occasionally features live musical performances. Front Room serves Starbucks coffee, so a lot of people are familiar with the menu, but the best drink choice is the Pumpkin Spice Latte. Made with fall spice flavors, steamed milk, espresso and topped with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice, the Pumpkin Spice Latte is a delicious drink for all seasons.

Tall: $4.25, Grande: $4.95, Venti: $5.25

Catalyst Cafe - Café au lait

Catalyst Cafe is located on Union Street, and though it’s not one of the most popular coffee shops in Athens, it is one of the most delicious. Catalyst Cafe features fair trade and organic coffees and teas. A lot of its drinks are typical ones you’d find at almost every coffee house, and though café au lait is one of those drinks, Catalyst Cafe’s café au lait is incomparable. The simple drink of coffee with milk is so well made and stands out from everything on the menu.

Small: $2.95, Large: $3.95

Fluff Bakery - Traincatcher

Fluff Bakery, Brunch and Bowls isn’t a typical coffee shop, but it’s more of a restaurant and bakery. Though it’s not technically a coffee shop, it still serves some of the most delicious coffee in the area. Its seasonal drinks, like red velvet, are definitely worth trying, but the one drink that is always served the Traincatcher. The Traincatcher is a delicious combination of Fluff’s mocha, made with espresso, milk and chocolate, and Fluff’s Toddy, a sweet, cold-brewed espresso. The Traincatcher is a delicious combination that is sweet and energizing.

Small: $4.00, Large: $5.00

Town’s End - White Chocolate Thunder

Town’s End is a relatively newer coffee shop over Stimson Bridge in a historic location that has previously served as Athens County’s first post office, a mill, a milk processing center and a barber shop. Luckily, it’s a coffee shop with a unique style without indoor seating, acting as a traditional Italian stand-up bar. The old-fashioned setup provides a classic taste of coffee drinks that wow customers. The best drink to try is the White Chocolate Thunder, made with white chocolate, oat milk and a double shot of the Town’s End award-winning espresso. Though it may be a further walk for some, it’s definitely worth the trip.

With normal milk: $5.25 With oat or soy milk: $6.00

Back

Development by: Mijana Mazur / Web Development Director

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.