RILEY SCOTT

Chow Down Around Court Street

05.30.19

Here’s a look at the many restaurants around Court Street

Nolan Simmons / News Editor

As you’ll come to find out, dining hall food gets old pretty fast. You can only get pasta alfredo from Nelson Court so many times before you start to wish for something else. Whether you’re Uptown looking for a quick bite to eat or prefer to sit down and have a meal, Athens has the place for you.

Athens Staples

Nothing screams Athens as much as Casa Nueva. Whether it’s the delicious Mexican-inspired food or the love for the local acts, generations of Bobcats flock to Casa Nueva when they are in town. You can grab dinner and stay for ‘80s Night at 6 W. State St., across from Valero gas station.

Bagel Street Deli is a lot like Athens: weird, passionate and a whole lot of fun. Locally famous for its pickle eating contest, Bagel Street offers dozens of different bagel combinations that are perfect for an early breakfast. You can find it at 27 S. Court St., across from Ginger Asian Kitchen.

Union Street Diner is the perfect place for all-day breakfast lovers. Friendly service and a classic diner atmosphere will make you feel right at home. It’s open 24 hours, so it's a great place for early birds and night owls alike. You can find comfort food any time of the day at 70 W. Union St., just off Court Street.

descutner

ILLUSTRATION | RILEY SCOTT

Quick and casual

Sometimes you just want to pop in, eat good food and pop back out. There’s no better place for a late night bite than O’Betty’s Red Hot. Rather than the hot dogs it's named after though, the cheese fries are a common favorite. Recently renovated but as good as ever, you can find O’Betty’s at 15 W. State St., across from Casa Nueva.

Big Mamma’s Burritos, another late night favorite, is home to some weird and wonderful burrito combinations, including a chipotle ranch burrito, a Philly cheesesteak burrito and a Cincinnati chili burrito for anyone from the Queen city who feels homesick. You can try these weird but wonderful takes on the burrito at 10 S. Court St., across from the Athens County Courthouse.

If you’re ever craving wings, look no farther than Wings Over. With tons of sauce options and a fun plane-themed menu, what’s not to love? Also open late, you can either get wings delivered right to your dorm or pick them up at 33 N. Court St., across from The Pigskin Sports Bar and Grille.

Food trucks

If you’re really in a rush and don’t mind walking with your food, try one of the many food trucks that make their rounds in Athens. If you’re lucky enough to have a meal plan with Flex points, try out the Hungry Cat Food Truck, owned and operated by the university. A popular menu item is the buffalo chicken quesadilla. You can find it at the top of Morton Hill across from Gordy Hall.

The Burrito Buggy is like a good friend: always there when you need it. It offers vegetarian, traditional and gourmet burritos alike, along with a few different tacos and nacho dishes. Usually the buggy can be found across from Schoonover Center on the edge of College Green.

Ali Baba’s gyro truck has a history of its own. It is owned and operated by Nisar Shaikh, who has watched the seasons come and go for three decades from the inside of his hot-rod red gyro truck. Go eat a delicious piece of history across from Schoonover Center, usually next to the Burrito Buggy.

Pizza

Pizza is a very hotly debated topic in Athens. Regardless of which pizzeria you claim alliance to, your favorite style of pie can be found in town.

Deliciously-greasy New York style slices can be found at Franco’s Pizza Place, right next to Wendy’s. Gooey, thick crust pizza can be found at GoodFella’s Pizza, next to Whit’s Frozen Custard. You can find a classic slice during slice night on Wednesdays at Courtside Pizza, and make your own pizza at LOTSA Stone Fired Pizza next to Jimmy John’s. A bit outside of town there is also Plus 1 Pizza, Avalanche Pizza, D.P. Dough and Doctor Pizza, which can all be delivered. Whichever you choose, you really can’t go wrong with pizza in Athens.

Sit down and enjoy

Jackie O’s Brewery is mostly known for its craft beers, but the burgers in its Public House restaurant are definitely worth checking out. If you’re over 21, you can pair a drink with one, but otherwise stick to water. You can find out for yourself at 24-25 W. Union St., next to The Union.

Like the Hungry Cat Food Truck, eating with friends at Latitude 39 is a great way to spend your Flex points. Plus, being located at the bottom of Baker University Center means that it’s not too far a walk from the dorms.

Restaurant Salaam boasts a menu filled with traditional and traditionally-inspired dishes from the Middle East, Mediterranean, the Balkans, North Africa, Thailand, India and Pakistan. It also bakes bread daily. It’s a bit on the pricey side, but it is a great place to treat yourself to after an especially hard week. You can find it at 21 W. Washington St., next to Donkey Coffee.

The palette of Athens is both wide and deep, and you will always find something you want. Don’t be afraid to get away from the dining halls.

Back

Development by: Mijana Mazur / Web Development Director

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.