Ohio men’s basketball coach Jeff Boals speaks at a news conference on March 18 in The Convo. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Coach Jeff Boals' salary, contract information

The contract and salary information for Ohio men’s basketball coach Jeff Boals, who was hired by the program in March, have become clear.

The contract is a five-year deal that will pay Boals $581,000 per year, according to the employment agreement form obtained by The Post. Boals, who spent the last three seasons as head coach at Stony Brook and built a 55-41 record, will be the highest-paid employee at Ohio University.

Boals’ salary is slightly higher than former Ohio coach Saul Phillips, who had a base salary of $550,000 in a five-year deal that wasn’t renewed after the 2018 season. At Stony Brook, Boals had an annual salary of $365,000, according to Newsday.

Boals could also receive several incentives based on Ohio’s performance each year. Some of the incentives include:

• Additional $5,000 if Boals wins Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year
  • Additional $10,000 if Ohio wins the MAC regular season title
  • Additional $10,000 if Ohio wins the MAC Tournament
  • Additional $10,000 if Ohio makes the NCAA Tournament with an at-large bid. Boals will receive $10,000 for each win, $30,000 if Ohio makes the Sweet 16 and $75,000 if Ohio makes the Final Four. He will also receive an additional $100,000 if Ohio wins a National Championship. 

Boals will be required to pay the university $950,000 if he terminates his contract before April 1, 2020, and the fee decreases in $100,000 increments for the next four years. Ohio University would have to pay Boals the same amount if it fires Boals without cause.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu