‘Toy Story 4’ is must-see film this summer. (Photo via @empiremagazine on Twitter)

The must-see movies from each month this summer

Summer is the perfect time to go to the movies. There’s a break from school; people aren’t as stressed with responsibilities; and going to the movies is a great way to kick back with friends, spend time with family or go on dates. If you’re feeling lost on what movies you should see, here are the most anticipated movies of the summer:

May:

Booksmart — May 24

Booksmart follows Amy and Molly, two academic overachievers who spent their high school careers studying hard and getting good grades. After realizing they may be missing out on some things, they decide to shove four years of high school experiences into one wild night. The directorial debut from actress Olivia Wilde, Booksmart scored a 97 percent on Rotten Tomatoes with the certified fresh label.

Ma — May 31

A lonely, middle-aged woman (Octavia Spencer) becomes friends with a group of teenagers and lets them party in the basement of her house. However, there are some house rules: one teen must stay sober; they can’t curse; they can’t go upstairs; and they have to refer to her as “Ma.” Once Ma becomes obsessed with the group, the teenage fun quickly turns into a certified nightmare.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters — May 31

When ancient species thought to be myths arise and look to take over, it’s up to the crypto-zoological agency, Monarch, and Godzilla to step up to the battle and save humankind. Following the first film, Godzilla, director Michael Dougherty brings back audience members’ favorite beast. Dougherty even announced the 2020 film in the works, Godzilla vs. Kong, to get audiences more excited about seeing the second film in the series. If you’re a fan of action-packed monster movies, this one is definitely a must-see.

Rocketman — May 31

Biopics have become a growing film trend, especially with the smash hit Bohemian Rhapsody. Rocketman follows the life and music of Sir Elton John through an uncensored history of how he came to be the star he is today. Starring Taron Egerton as John, Rocketman is sure to explode in theaters and wow audiences. 

June:

Dark Phoenix — June 7

The X-Men film follows one of the most well-known characters, Jean Grey, and her descent into darkness after being hit by a cosmic blast during a life-threatening rescue mission. The culmination of 20 years of X-Men movies show the group facing their most dangerous enemy yet — one of their own. Starring Sophie Turner as Grey, the film is sure to be a hit for X-Men fans and general audiences. 

Men in Black: International — June 14

After failing to erase her memory, the Men in Black are discovered by a girl (Tessa Thompson) who wants to be an agent. Once she becomes an agent and partners up with Agent H (Chris Hemsworth) for a mission, they discover Men in Black has been compromised, and they can’t trust anyone. Also starring Liam Neeson, the film is sure to be a great continuation of the Men in Black series. 

The Dead Don’t Die — June 14

In a small town, everything is always boring and normal — that is, until the dead rise and are threatening to take over. It’s up to the citizens of Centerville to fight back and save their town. With an all-star cast featuring some of the biggest names in Hollywood, the film is definitely going to be a comedic hit. 

Toy Story 4 — June 21

When Woody (Tom Hanks), Buzz (Tim Allen) and the gang go on a road trip with Bonnie (Madeleine McGraw), it leads to her new toy Forky (Tony Hale) trying to escape. Woody embarks on an adventure to save Forky, and it leads to a reunion between Woody and his long-lost friend, Bo Peep (Annie Potts). The original cast full of the voices and toys you love, Toy Story 4 is going to attract children and adults who grew up with the series alike. 

Yesterday — June 28

After blacking out during a freak bus accident, Jack (Himesh Patel), a struggling singer/songwriter wakes up to find no one remembers The Beatles. With the help of an agent and the support of his best friend, Ellie (Lily James), Jack becomes the biggest singer/songwriter in the industry — that is, until other people claim they wrote the songs. Yesterday is a tribute to The Beatles in a more creative way than a biopic, and it’s certain to be an adorable hit. 

July:

Spider-Man: Far From Home — July 2

After all of the chaos is over and the dust has settled from Avengers: Endgame, things don’t feel the same for Peter Parker (Tom Holland). However, on a school trip, Spider-Man is forced to step up to the challenge and save the world. Introducing Jake Gyllenhaal into the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Mysterio, the film is sure to be a great continuation of a character audiences love. 

The Lion King — July 19

The classic Disney animated film is joining the bandwagon of live-action remakes. However, since there aren’t any human characters, the film is entirely composed of computer-generated images. The cast is stellar, including Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé as Nala and Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen as Timon and Pumbaa, respectively. With plenty of other big Hollywood names, the film is one of the most anticipated of the summer and the year. 

Once Upon a Time … In Hollywood — July 26

Set in 1969 Los Angeles, big time Hollywood star Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his stunt double, Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt), try to navigate their way around an industry that is changing so much it’s barely recognizable. Also featuring Margot Robbie, Luke Perry and Timothy Olyphant, the film is the next masterpiece from acclaimed director Quentin Tarantino.  

August:

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw — Aug. 2

Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) and Shaw (Jason Statham) have faced off before, but when a cyber-genetically enhanced anarchist (Idris Elba) gains control of a bio-threat that could change life as they know it, the two team up. Hobbs & Shaw is definitely going to be the next big Fast & Furious movie and will certainly please all action movie lovers out there. 

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark — Aug. 9 

In the small town of Mills Valley, Sarah Bellows (Kathleen Pollard) writes all about her horrible life and miserable secrets down in a book. However, the stories become all too real when a group of teens stumble upon a mansion. Produced by Guillermo Del Toro and based off Alvin Schwartz’ book series of the same name, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a highly anticipated movie adaptation of the beloved books.

Blinded By The Light — Aug. 14

Javed (Viveik Kalra) is growing up in 1987 England in the middle of racial and economic turmoil of the times with a strict, intolerant home life and hometown. To escape, he writes poetry, but when a classmate introduces him to the music of Bruce Springsteen, Javed relates to the music more than anything and begins on a journey to find his own voice. With a fresh-faced cast, the movie is lining up to be the feel-good movie of the summer. 

Good Boys — Aug. 16

After being invited to his first kissing party, Max (Jacob Tremblay) enlists the help of his friends to prepare to smooch. When they don’t provide much assistance, Max and his friends decide to use his dad’s drone to spy on the teenage girl next door. However, when they lose the drone, the three skip school and create a plan of action to get the drone back and figure out how to kiss. Featuring a young cast, the movie is produced by Seth Rogen and is shaping up to be a cute comedy. 

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu