RILEY SCOTT

Navigating Your New Home

05.30.19

Buildings every freshman should know

Abby Miller / News Editor

Ohio University’s campus may be nestled within the small town of Athens, but any new location can be a bit overwhelming at first. If you’re feeling a little lost, here are some buildings that every freshman should know to get a better grasp of their new home:

Baker University Center

descutner

NATE SWANSON | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Baker University Center at Ohio University.

John Calhoun Baker University Center is one of the newer buildings on campus. Originally, Baker Center was in the place of Schoonover Center until the new Baker Center’s unveiling.

After three years of construction, Baker had its grand opening in 2007. It has the only escalator in Athens County that connects the upper and lower portions of campus. Now, it is home to many offices, event spaces and centers for both student and faculty use. OU’s Student Senate office, the Women’s Center, the Allen Student Help Center and the Multicultural Center are just a few of the many resources OU students have access to in Baker. Or, if you simply need a morning pick-me-up, you can stop by The Front Room Coffeehouse for a cup of coffee and a pastry.

Templeton Blackburn Memorial Auditorium

descutner

NATE SWANSON | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Alumni Memorial Auditorium on Ohio University's College Green.

Typically shortened to MemAud, the venue hosts a wide range of events for OU students throughout the year. Students can see anything from nationally-touring musicals, concerts or speakers at MemAud.

You can find the auditorium on College Green across from Chubb Hall. The names Templeton and Blackburn each pay respect to OU’s first African-American male and female graduates, respectively.

Convocation Center

The Convo doubles as both a dormitory and event center. Head to The Convo on West Green with some friends throughout the school year to watch Bobcat basketball, volleyball and wrestling. Special events, like commencement and concerts, are also held in The Convo. The Convo is one of the most easily recognizable buildings on campus and is always good to know in case you are lost.

Bird Arena

Bird Arena is OU’s indoor ice rink. Bobcats can take advantage of the student discount to attend hockey games here on Friday and Saturday nights. The OU Men's Ice Hockey team, a club sport, holds four American Collegiate Hockey Association national championship titles.

The rink also hosts drop-in hockey and ice skating sessions. Open skate sessions are available, but for students looking for further coaching, private one-on-one lessons can be scheduled. Bird Arena is located across from the bottom of Baker Center.

Charles J. Ping Recreation Center

Sometimes a good workout is the perfect way to take your mind off studying. Finding a workout partner can also be a great way to make friends during your freshman year. Students can rock climb, run on the track or attend a variety of fitness classes with friends here. Head over to Ping to take advantage of all of the available services.

Campus Care Clinic

descutner

NATE SWANSON | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Hudson Health Center is the primary health care facility on campus for students in need of care for physical and mental health.

Every freshman’s greatest fear in college seems to be getting extremely sick. If that fear unfortunately comes true, take a stop by the Campus Care Clinic located in Hudson Hall. Campus Care provides a wide range of services that meet all of students’ health needs, according to OU’s website.

Not only can you see a doctor here, but you can also pick up prescriptions at OU’s drugstore, see a physical therapist or go to a drop-in session at Counseling and Psychological Services. Hudson Hall is located behind Voigt Hall, which is right across the street from the Radio-Television building.

Alden Library

Whether you’re in need of a printer, quiet study space or research materials, Alden Library has it all. The library boasts seven floors and over 3.3 million books and over 1 million electronic books, according to OU’s website. The space can seat 3,000 people, so you’re sure to find your own unique study space.

Additionally, each floor has different sound levels, so you can choose to study in silence, or with friends. Alden is also a great place to go to if you experience computer problems. You can borrow laptops on the building’s second floor, and both PCs and Macs are available for public use. Alden Library is located on College Green, diagonal from Baker Center.

Alden also has a station on the second floor where BobCat Cash can be added to your student account to pay for printing or buy a coffee from Café BiblioTech.

Back

Development by: Mijana Mazur / Web Development Director

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.