Ohio's Aaron Levy swings the bat during Ohio's game against Eastern Michigan on April 13. The Bobcats beat the Eagles 5-4 in their first game of a doubleheader. (FILE)

Baseball: Ohio splits series with Miami

Ohio held its ground in the Mid-American Conference standings by splitting its series against Miami on Friday and Saturday at Bob Wren Stadium.

The conference rivals didn’t play the series finale due to a rain cancellation Sunday.

The Bobcats (16-27, 10-10 MAC) now sit at sixth in the MAC standings and hold the last spot for the conference tournament. Ohio is one game ahead of Western Michigan, who it will play in its last series of the season in two weeks.

Friday

Edward Kutt IV took the mound for Ohio, but with the combination of his recent struggles and lack of offense from the Bobcats, Kutt received his second straight loss. He gave up four earned runs and six hits in 7 1/3 innings as the Bobcats lost 5-1. 

Ohio managed just five hits through the first six innings and didn’t record a hit in the last three innings. The Bobcats’ lone run wasn’t even earned — Tanner Piechnick scored on a Miami error in the fourth inning.

Saturday

After struggling the week before against Kent State, Jack Liberatore came back with a masterful start on Saturday. He pitched six innings and only allowed three runs on four hits while striking out nine. Brett Manis received Liberatore and allowed just one hit in the last three innings and earned his seventh save in a 4-3 Ohio win.

Aaron Levy led the Bobcats at the plate and had two hits, one RBI and a run of his own to help Ohio even the series.

Up next

Ohio will finish its season with seven games on the road and will look to pick up series wins against Ball State and Western Michigan. The Bobcats will also have a midweek game against Marshall on May 14.

@scott_cthomas11

St610417@ohio.edu