Ohio University will not accept the usage of medical marijuana cards on campus under Ohio’s Medical Marijuana Control Program. (provided via the Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program) 

OU denies student use of medical marijuana cards

Ohio University confirmed last week that it will not be following the implementation of Ohio’s Medical Marijuana Control Program and will not accept the usage of medical marijuana cards on campus.

All forms of marijuana remain illegal under the federal level, Jim Sabin, university spokesman, said in an email. He said nothing will change with regard to OU's Student Code of Conduct or other policies related to marijuana use on campus.

If a student, however, is in possession of a card, they are not required to report that possession to the university, Sabin said.

Under Ohio law, a certified physician can recommend up to a 90-day supply of cannabis with up to three refills, according to the Control Program.

There are 15 dispensaries in Ohio, and one is under an hour away from OU’s campus. 

Several dispensaries are still waiting to open, including Harvest Inc., which is said to be opening on West Union Street. The opening date is not yet known.

@logan_rmoore

lm849615@ohio.edu

A previous version of this report included an inaccurate photo with an incorrectly written caption. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.