RILEY SCOTT

Pack It Up

05.30.19

10 unexpected things to bring to college

Erin Gardner / For The Post

Packing for college is no small feat, and you’re bound to forget a few things. Coming to campus can be a scary thing but with this quick list, packing will be a breeze. Here are the items you need to pack before heading to college:

Extra phone charger

It’s inevitable that you will lose your phone charger, or it will break and fray. The spares from CVS or the dining halls are fine in a pinch, but they’re not worth the price. Invest in an extra from Apple and your future self will thank you at 2 a.m. when your phone is at one percent.

Reusable water bottle

There are plenty of stylish and workable reusable water bottles available. Staying hydrated is a college necessity. So is saving the planet.

Planner

A big planner or bullet journal is a lifesaver during syllabus week. Writing down all your assignments, exams, coffee dates and bills due is helpful with task management. Make sure your planner includes weekly tabs, so you can adjust your schedule based on class commitments and campus involvement, which is an important part of the college adjustment period.

Snacks from home

Even though college is all about #adulting, sometimes, it can get lonely. Having snacks from home can help with the homesickness slump. If you have a favorite local granola from home, stock up because chances are Walmart won’t have it. If you are vegetarian or vegan, take a few snacks from home because the markets don’t have an extensive selection.

Tissues

Blowing your nose in napkins when you’re sick is painful after a while. Sure, you can always go out to CVS for supplies, but no one wants to leave their warm bed when they’re sick. Speaking from experience, having a box or two on hand is a good idea.

college-things

ILLUSTRATION | RILEY SCOTT

Water filter

Most dorms only have a sink either in the bathroom or the room to do dishes. Especially in the Appalachia area where water is a luxury, having clean, drinking water in the dorm is a smart idea. Water filters, which is an eco-friendlier alternative to plastic water bottles in bulk, usually ranges from $15-30 and have been proven to help reduce the amount of toxins in tap water.

Business casual clothes

When you’re packing, it’s easy to only think of the clothes that will be comfortable for class. Try to pack a few business casual clothing items for when a job interview pops up. You will stand out from the sea of jeans and flannels.

Scissors

Scissors are one item that you don’t think you need until you do. Having a pair on hand is useful, whether is opening a pesky bag of chips or cutting out pictures.

Extra printer ink

If you decide to bring a printer with you, buy an extra pack of ink. Depending on your printer, the Bobcat Depot might not carry the ink and if you can’t catch a ride to Walmart, you might have to order it on Amazon. Having an extra pack hidden away could save you the hassle of trying to print a paper at the library late at night.

Durable umbrella

Ohio weather is unpredictable, and when it rains, it pours. A durable umbrella is a college essential because no one wants to walk to class wet. Make sure the umbrella is wind resistant and made of heavy plastic.

Back

Development by: Mijana Mazur / Web Development Director

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.