RILEY SCOTT

Useful Offices

05.30.19

Useful offices to know

Ian McKenzie / Asst. News Editor

There are plenty of resources available for students, but it can be hard to know what you need. Here is an explanation of some of the offices on campus and where to find them:

Bursar's Office

The Office of the Bursar, located in Chubb Hall Room 010 , is responsible for the billing and collecting of finances for the university. This is primarily for student tuition balances charged each semester, according to its website.

The website gives a rundown of the different payment options, how tuition and fees are calculated, refunds and other informative options for students.

University Registrar

The Office of the University Registrar, located on the first floor of Chubb Hall, has multiple units that are responsible for supporting systems used for registering for classes, managing curriculum, scheduling classes, implementing scheduling policy, maintaining the Degree Audit Report System and other services for students.

The Degree Audit Report System, commonly known as DARS, is the registration database used by Ohio University. It shows what classes a student has completed and what classes students need to take in order to fulfill the credit requirements of both their college and the university at large.

LGBT Center

The LGBT Center, located in Room 354 of Baker University Center, creates an environment and community that is supportive of sexual orientation, gender identity expression, gender identity and queeness, according to the LGBT Center website.

descutner

AMELIA GREEN | FOR THE POST

A colorful corner of Baker Center’s LGBT Office.

The center offers SafeZone training that is open to all students, community, staff and faculty members. This training is to raise awareness about dynamics of gender and sexual orientation.

Allen Student Advising Center

The Allen Student Advising Center, located on the fourth floor of Baker University Center in Room 417, provides advising about academic options at OU. The center also helps students find jobs on campus, apply for scholarships, get involved with student organizations, learn about study abroad opportunities and multiple others, according to its website.

descutner

MEGAN HENRY | FOR THE POST

Students can go to Allen Center in Baker if they have concerns about their major or want to change their major.

Within the Allen Student Advising Center is the OHIO First Scholars program, which provides a network of support and opportunities for OU’s first-generation college students. The center is coordinated by first-generation college graduates who understand the unique experience of first-generation students.

Womens Center

The Women’s Center, located in Room 403 of Baker University Center, promotes inclusion, honors difference and works to promote academic achievement for women in all professional fields, according to its website.

descutner

MEAGAN HALL | FOR THE POST

The Women’s Center is Located on the fourth floor in Baker Center.

The center provides students and faculty and staff members with information, services and programs that address matters that affect women on campus.

The Women’s Center offers several programs geared toward women on campus, including a women’s mentoring program, a program that teaches about how to recognize women leaders, and an international women’s coffee hour.

Multicultural Center

The Multicultural Center, located in Room 205 in Baker University Center, creates programs designed to increase human understanding through the study and expression of culture. It is dedicated to increasing the understanding and appreciation of cultural differences by familiarizing the campus community with the contributions and histories of the different cultures represented on campus.

descutner

MEAGAN HALL | FOR THE POST

The Multicultural Center is located on the second floor of Baker Center.

The Multicultural Center also holds the Multicultural Student Expo, a program in which first-year African American, Asian/Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latino and Native American students meet upperclassmen, learn about multicultural student organizations and meet other members of their graduating class, according to its website.

Career and Leadership Development Center

The Career and Leadership Development Center, or CLDC, located in Room 533 of Baker University Center, offers leadership training and career coaching to students on campus.

descutner

BLAKE NISSEN | FOR THE POST

The Career and Leadership Development Center is located on the fifth floor of Baker Center.

Students can schedule one-on-one meetings with professionals for leadership coaching and mock interviews. They can also drop-in for quick 10 minute meetings at the CLDC.

The CLDC encourages students to use Handshake, an app which connects university students with employers and allows them to shop for job openings within their field.

Students can also visit the Career Closet within the CLDC, which is a closet that allows students to get business clothing for interviews, career fairs, and formal events for on and off campus. Students can borrow any clothing item, but they are not required to return anything, according to its website.

Back

Development by: Taylor Johnston / Digital Managing Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.