Tie-dye is a must-have fashion trend this summer. (Photo via @instylemagazine on Instagram) 

Here’s everything you need to know about summer 2019 fashion

Summer is the perfect season for fashion. There’s less pressure from school and work and more time to explore your inner fashionista. Every year and every season, fashion trends, must-haves and perfectly-styled outfits fluctuate with what’s popular and what’s not. Summer 2019 has some old things that are coming back, but some very new styles to try. Here are the summer 2019 trends, accessories, shoes and outfits to make you the queen of all things fashion: 

Trends: 

Bright colors and loud patterns

The summer sun is out and brighter than ever, which means your color choices and patterned looks should be brighter and louder than any other season. Bright colors are a must, especially a neon look and the bright colors orange, yellow, pink and blue. The patterns have more freedom: The rule is the louder the pattern, the more summer 2019 the outfit. If you combine the summer 2019 color palette with a good pattern, you’ll be perfect.

Dress up tie-dye

Tie-Dye is a pattern that’s been around for a long time. Mostly, tie-dying is seen as an activity, where people take white shirts and create a kaleidoscope of colors to wear proudly. But this summer, dressing up tie-dye is a fashion statement. Tie-dye shirts with skirts, tie-dye dresses and so many more options make the colorful design a must-have this summer.

High-waisted bathing suits

High-waisted clothing has been the trend in every type of pants, shorts or bottoms in general. So, it’s only fitting that swim wear follow suit in the form of high-waisted bottoms. High-waisted bathing suits are a more retro version of a normal bathing suit and will be the most in-style look for this swim season.

Unique shorts (bermuda, bike and paper bag)

The temperature is up, and you know how it goes: The higher the temperature, the shorter the shorts. However, instead of the stereotypical shorts that make their way into everyone’s wardrobe, this summer’s pick of shorts is shaking things up. There’s the bermuda style, about one inch above the knee and designed to be unisex; bike shorts, or cycling shorts as they’re also known, are mid-thigh, skin tight shorts; and paper bag style, a looser, high waisted fit with a tie in the middle. These three shorts will be the perfect way to shake up your summer wardrobe. 

Accessories & Shoes:

Ankle boots 

The ankle boot is one of the most versatile and necessary shoe options to have in your wardrobe. Whether you wear it with jeans, a dress, a skirt or shorts, ankle boots will always be your shoe best friend. Buying an ankle boot in a more neutral color, like nude, faded pink, white or black is the best way to have a shoe that goes with almost everything this summer.

Bandanas and funky glasses

Due to the bright sun filling everyone’s days, a pair of sunglasses is essential to summer fashion. But don’t just settle for a boring style this summer, choose a funky and unique pair to spice up any outfit. Then, to add a little extra flair, choose a scarf or bandana to tie around your head or neck, turning any plain outfit into an instant summer hit. 

Camel lace-up wedges

Wedges can be worn year round, but they look and compliment outfits the best in summer. The camel wedge is a popular style, but the lace up ankle adds an exciting touch to an already stylish shoe. Wedges are almost as good as ankle boots, seeing as they go with almost any style of clothing, but they add a little heel to enhance the look. 

Fun earrings

Earrings are the summer accessory that have the most freedom when choosing which ones to wear with an outfit. There are so many colors, styles, sizes and lengths to choose from, so it’s easy to find the perfect style with your outfits. Ultimately, earrings are the best accessory to dress up any outfit. 

Layers (button up shirts, cozy sweaters and jean jackets)

Summer heat prompts you to get out your shorts, tank tops and other light and breezy clothes, but when the sun goes down, so does the temperature. It’s important to have some good layering pieces in your wardrobe to keep with you in case you need to put something over your light outfit. The best layering pieces are button up shirts, cozy sweaters, and jean jackets. You can’t go wrong having those three pieces at your disposal.

Outstanding Outfits:

Blazer, crop top and jeans

This is a look that has been around for a while, resurfacing in popularity from the ’80s. It’s a casual way to look very fashionable. Just combine any crop top, tube top or smaller undershirt to show some skin, then get a boxy blazer, put it over some jeans combine it with your favorite shoes and accessories, and you’re all set.

Button up dresses

A button up dress is another trend that isn’t necessarily new, but it is arguably the most popular dress style in fashion right now. The sweet silhouette and vintage feel of the dresses make it a gorgeous, but easy way to style yourself this summer. Just combine the dress with some cute accessories, a pair of ankle boots or camel wedges and you’re set in style.

Jumpsuits

Another easy way to avoid putting a lot of effort into an outfit choice is to wear a jumpsuit. Seeing as it’s one piece, your only responsibility will be to accessorize accordingly. Jumpsuits are a trend that can be worn in a number of different ways, mostly by themselves with maybe a layering piece, but it’s also possible to wear a plain t-shirt under a strappy jumpsuit to add an element of layer and updated style. Just add accessories and some stylish shoes and it’s a perfect and easy outfit to wear for fun and fancy events.

Matching sets

Though there are plenty of fashion trends this summer, undoubtedly the biggest is the easy-to-put-together-but-still-fashionable style. Matching sets are a great example of this. You can still look like your outfit is a 10 while only spending a short time putting the outfit together. Once you choose your matching set, just accessorize properly and you’ll be golden.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu