The ‘Cats’ trailer is receiving some mixed reactions for its digital fur technology. (Photo via @Variety on Twitter) 

Twitter Reactions: The first ‘Cats’ trailer leaves audiences scared, confused

When Andrew Lloyd Webber and T.S. Elliot’s production of Cats opened on Broadway in the 1980s, there was no way they could’ve known what a timeless classic it would become. 

Now, about 40 years later, after multiple stints on Broadway and several touring productions, a musical based on the book Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats is taking the next step and becoming a film with some really big names. 

Though this would typically be exciting, audience members are having extremely mixed reactions about the animation of the film. 

The trailer features several known celebrities, including Judi Dench, Jennifer Hudson, Taylor Swift, Jason Derulo, Ian McKellan, James Corden, Rebel Wilson and Idris Elba. The film is directed by Academy Award-winner Tom Hooper, who is also known for his work on Les Miserables, The King’s Speech and The Danish Girl

The film is set to hit theaters around the holidays this winter, and though the story has been around for quite a long time, a lot of people are confused as to what the plot is. Simply put, each cat introduces themselves and tells about their lives, and the leader, Old Deuteronomy (portrayed in the film by Dench), chooses one cat to be reborn into a new life. 

It seems what’s throwing audiences off the most is the animation and how the cats look extremely human-like but with added cat CGI. It’s more than slightly terrifying. 

However, superfans of the musical won’t be distracted by the CGI,but will instead notice all of the characters they know and love coming to life in a brand new way right in front of them. The Broadway show does a tremendous job of adding special effects, but there’s something about the limitless boundaries of film that can create special effects that are unmatched by anything else. 

The trailer gives audiences a first look at not only the slightly terrifying animation but also the intricate set design, nuanced costuming and even a sneak peak at what is anticipated to be a tear-jerking performance of the timeless classic “Memory,” performed by Hudson.

The three aspects audiences should anticipate the most are one, the performances from various actors; two, the film’s special effects; and three, the dancing. The trailer gives a great preview into the dancing from English ballerina Francesca Hayward to the funky and hip-hop stylings of Derulo and Les Twins, and even from less-experienced dancers like Wilson, giving a comedic performance with her dancing. Because the characters are cats, the movements are very specific and animal-like, so it’ll be interesting to see how each actor does in that regard.

It’ll be interesting to see if the terrified reactions blow over after the initial shock, or if when the time comes, audiences leave the theater feeling the same way. 

Here’s how audiences reacted to the trailer on Twitter:

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu