Ohio running back Maleek Irons runs away from Cincinnati defenders in the Bobcats’ narrow loss to the Bearcats on Sept. 22 at Nippert Stadium. Ohio had a huge first half lead, but Cincinnati came from behind to outlast the Bobcats.

Football: Ohio favorites to win division, conference

The Mid-American Conference Media Day kicked off Tuesday from Detroit, and Ohio is already in the spotlight for preseason praise.

The Bobcats were selected by league media members as the unanimous favorites to win the MAC East Division and earned 13 votes to win the MAC Championship Game.

Toledo was voted as the representative from the MAC West to land in Ford Field. The Rockets earned seven votes to win the title.

Last season, Ohio finished in second place in the MAC East behind Buffalo. Ohio’s only loss to an East Division opponent last season was a 30-28 defeat against Miami that proved costly in its failed quest to the MAC Championship Game.

Ohio hasn’t been to the MAC Championship Game since 2016, when it lost to Western Michigan 29-23.

Under coach Frank Solich, the Bobcats have been to the conference title game four times but have yet to reward the coach with a win in his 14 years with the program.

Ohio opens the 2019-20 season at home on Aug. 31 against Rhode Island with a 2 p.m. kickoff. The game will be broadcast on ESPN+.

@matthewlparker5 

mp109115@ohio.edu