Greta Gerwig’s adaptation of ‘Little Women’ brings the iconic story to life for a new generation. (Photo via @jenyamato on Twitter) 

Twitter Reactions: The trailer for Greta Gerwig’s ‘Little Women’ shows the March sisters more empowered than ever

The timeless classic Little Women is headed back to the big screen with a new cast, an updated look and the same old sense of empowerment.

Originally a two-part novel published in 1868 and 1869 by Louisa May Alcott, Little Women was adapted to film in 1994 and tells the life stories of the March sisters, Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy. 

The 1994 film stars Winona Ryder as Jo, a woman full of ambition, dreams and female empowerment to spare. Now, the 2019 adaptation stars Saoirse Ronan, who’s famous for her roles in films like Ladybird, Mary Queen of Scotts and The Lovely Bones. Ronan is an actress who is no stranger to female empowerment, exemplifying this in her personal life and in her on-screen roles. Based on the trailer alone, it’ll be no surprise if she’s nominated for an Oscar for this film. 

2019’s Little Women is directed and adapted by none other than Greta Gerwig. Furthermore, the film features a star-studded cast of Emma Watson as Meg, Florence Pugh as Amy, Eliza Scanlen as Beth, Timothee Chalamet as Laurie, Laura Dern as Marmee and Meryl Streep as Aunt March. 

One of the most tragic and disappointing love stories is the tale of Laurie and Jo, a pair who are obviously destined to be together, with their free spirits and Laurie’s nontoxic masculinity toward women, especially with how empowered Jo is as a woman. With snippets of Laurie’s love confession to Jo in the trailer, audiences are already prepared to get their hearts broken by the beautiful duo that is Ronan and Chalamet. 

More than anything, Little Women preaches female empowerment and love amongst family, especially women, in a time when women weren’t as liberated or empowered as they are in this day and age. So now, in a time when female empowerment is celebrated and encouraged and has grown so much, it’ll be exciting to see the story come to live once more.

Here’s how audiences reacted on Twitter:

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu