Players go through warmups on day four of fall camp on Monday, Aug. 5, 2019.

Football: What we learned from Day 4 of fall camp

Ohio practiced Monday for its fourth day of 2019 fall camp. The practice was conducted in 24 total periods, which lasted over two hours and 10 minutes. Here are The Post’s observations.

ATTENDANCE

Did not practice: Running back Julian Ross, running back Walter Wilbon, cornerback Jamal Hudson, cornerback Justin Birchette and offensive lineman Joe Oakes

Limited participant: Running back Jake Neatherton, running back Jonathan Barna and wide receiver Shane Hooks

Other notes: Michael Farkas returned to camp after missing the first three days. He was at a wedding.

OBSERVATIONS

Sights and sounds

• Monday was the second day where players were dressed in shoulder pads and helmets.
  • Nathan Rourke and Javon Hagan were the only two players to have the green Ohio decals on the side of their helmets.

Quarterback

• While he looked sharp the first three days of camp, some of the offseason rust caught up to Rourke in Monday’s practice. The senior went 3-for-7 during 7-on-7 periods and only 6-for-17 during team periods. Rourke threw an interception during the team period.
  • Redshirt freshman Joe Mischler saw more action in Monday’s practice than on Sunday.
  • Mischler and freshman Kurtis Rourke split reps with the second team during 7-on-7 periods, but Kurtis started with the second team during the team periods.

Running backs

• While Ross did not practice is yet to practice, he did partake in pre-stretch drills in Monday’s practice. It was the first handoff he’s taken so far in fall camp.
  • Redshirt freshman O’Shaan Allison looked confident in the back field during team periods with multiple five-yard rushes.

Offensive line

• From left to right the starting offensive line was Austen Pleasants, Brett Kitrell, Steven Hayes, Hagen Meservy and Marques Grimes.
  • During the group’s individual period, the group had a heavier emphasis on working to the linebackers and picking up defensive line stunts.

Defensive line

• From weak side end to strong side end, the defensive line starters were Austin Conrad, Cole Baker, Brian Arp and Amos Ogun-Semore.
  • Monday was perhaps the strongest the defensive line has looked so far into camp. Arp and Baker both swatted passes at the line of scrimmage while Ogun-Semore reached the quarterback several times throughout the team periods.

Linebackers

• Eric Popp, Dylan Conner and Jared Dorsa started for the defense during the 7-on-7 periods and team periods. All three were strong in filling run lanes during Monday’s practice.

Secondary

• From left side cornerback to right side, the starting secondary was Marlin Brooks, Jarren Hampton, Ilyaas Motley and Hagan.
  • As a whole unit, the secondary impressed during the 7-on-7, 1-on-1 and team periods in Monday’s practice.
  • Hagan had several pass breakups against the starting receivers, and the secondary combined for three interceptions in Monday’s practice.

Special teams

• Ohio practiced its punt return unit during Monday’s practice. Punt returners were Ty Walton, Isiah Cox, Jerome Buckner, Shane Hooks and Camryn Snow.

Next up

• The Bobcats practice on Tuesday starting at 7:50 a.m. The practice is open to the public.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu