Redshirt junior Cam Odom (No. 3) walks along the sideline before Ohio’s practice on Thursday, Aug. 8, 2019.

Football: What we learned from Day 6 of fall camp

After having Wednesday off, the Bobcats were back in Peden Stadium for their sixth practice of fall camp. The practice was conducted in 24 total periods, which lasted over two hours and 10 minutes.

Here are The Post’s observations:

ATTENDANCE

Did not practice: Defensive lineman Brian Arp, wide receiver Tanner Allton, wide receiver Bingo Long, wide receiver Chase Cokley and cornerback Jamal Hudson.

Limited participation: Running back Julian Ross (did not practice during team periods), running back Jake Neatherton (did not practice during team periods) and wide receiver Shane Hooks (only practiced during individual periods).

OBSERVATIONS

Sights and sounds

• The Bobcats had an energetic Thursday after their first day off in camp. During stretches, several members of the secondary cracked jokes, and the overall mood was light.
  • All of Ohio’s offensive and defensive starters had the green Ohio decal on their helmets as they took promotion photos on Wednesday.
  • Freshman offensive lineman Parker Titsworth is the first freshman to have his yellow stripe removed from his helmet.
  • At Ohio’s media day Wednesday, coach Frank Solich announced this season’s captains are quarterback Nathan Rourke, safety Javon Hagan, offensive lineman Austen Pleasants, wide receiver Cam Odom and defensive end Will Evans.

Quarterback

• Rourke had a solid Thursday and went 5-for-9 and a touchdown during the two 7-on-7 periods and went 10-for-13 during two team periods.
  • There was more balanced play-calling for the offense during the team periods in Thursday’s practice, although there was a slight emphasis on play actions.
  • Redshirt freshman Joe Mischler started as the backup quarterback during team periods, but the reps were evenly split between him and freshman Kurtis Rourke.

Running backs

• Thursday was the first practice in the fall camp where Ross got some serious reps. He was an active participant during individual periods and group periods with the quarterbacks, and he caught two passes during the 7-on-7 periods.
  • Redshirt freshman O’Shaan Allison started with first team during team periods.

Offensive line

• From left to right, the offensive line was Pleasants, Brett Kitrell, Steven Hayes, Hagen Meservy and Marques Grimes.
  • The second team unit got good looks during Thursday’s practice as well, and from left to right, the second team line was Samson Jackson, Kurt Danneker, Nick Sink, Brody Rodgers and Felipe Fernandez.

Defensive line

• The starting defensive line from weak side end to strong side end was Austin Conrad, Cole Baker, Kaieem Caesar and Amos Ogun-Semore.
  • Arp being sidelined at Thursday’s practice allowed for the interior defensive line rotation to get more reps, with Caesar, Marcus Coleman and Zach Burks all making appearances with the first unit.   

Linebackers

• Starters were Eric Popp, Dylan Conner and Jared Dorsa.

Secondary

• Hagan and Jarren Hampton were quick to fill the run gaps in the secondary in what was an otherwise quiet day for defensive backs during 7-on-7 and team periods.

Other notes

• Long snapper Devin King unofficially set the world record for the longest long snap after Thursday’s practice. The official world record is currently held by Erik Lawson who snapped the ball 36.9 yards. King’s attempt was measured at 38 yards.

Next up

• The Bobcats practice Friday starting at 7:50 a.m. The practice is open to the public.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu