Ohio defenseman Thomas Pokorney (No.4) gets tangled up with Iowa State defenseman Kurt Halbach (No.24) during the second period of the Bobcats’ hockey game against the Cyclones on Friday, February 15, 2019, at Bird Arena. (FILE)

Hockey: Ohio unveils its 2019-20 schedule

Ohio hockey released its schedule Wednesday afternoon ahead of the 2019-20 season for what hopes to be an ambitious new season.

The season will start a week early compared to last year, with the Green vs. White intersquad scrimmage on Sept. 14

The Bobcats’ opening series is at home against John Carroll on Sept. 27-28. The Bobcats and Blue Streaks have made a habit of opening the season against each other, as this series will mark the eighth consecutive year of season openers. Ohio leads the going-on eight year series, 13-0-1.

Ohio continues its home stint through October and November, hosting nonleague opponents Toledo on Oct. 4-5 and Michigan-Dearborn on Nov. 1-2. Other nonleague matchups this season include Liberty, Chatham, Indiana Tech, Slippery Rock, Calvin University, Stony Brook, Pitt and Kent State.

Ohio’s matchup against Kent State has potential to be filled with a hint of revenge. Last season the Bobcats were upset by the Golden Flashes in their first game of the series last March. Former coach Sean Hogan called it one of the most embarrassing losses of his career. Needless to say, Ohio will be looking to prevent a disaster from happening again.

The Bobcats start their Central States Collegiate Hockey League schedule at home when they host Robert Morris-Illinois on Oct. 11. The Eagles and the Bobcats swept each other in the two series they faced against one another last season.

CSCHL play this year will also include series against rivals Lindenwood and Iowa State. Ohio was 7-3-4 against conference opponents in 2018-19, including a shootout loss to Robert Morris-Illinois.

At the tail end of the season, Ohio will play in the CSCHL playoffs, which will be hosted by Illinois. The Bobcats were defeated in last year’s championship by Lindenwood, 9-4.

After the CSCHL playoffs, Ohio will hold its traditional “ice ghosts” alumni game, where all profits made will be donated toward cancer research.

Ohio begins this season with a new head coach, Cole Bell, and many keystone players, including forwards Gianni Evangelisti and Tyler Harkins, defensemen Jake Houston and Tom Pokorney and goalie Jimmy Thomas returning to the ice. With the work ethic and the talent they bring, the Bobcats are looking to finish stronger this season than they did last year at No. 6.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu