Ohio University tight end, Ryan Luehrman (#88) catches the ball for a touchdown during the game against Rhode Island University on Saturday, August 31, 2019. The Bobcats won 41-20.

Football: Fast reactions from Ohio's win over Rhode Island

Ohio won its third consecutive season opener as it defeated Rhode Island 41-20 on Saturday.

The Bobcats finished with 466 total yards, while the Rams finished with 375 yards. Ohio averaged 7.6 yards per play compared to Rhode Island’s 5.8 yards per play.

Here are three key takeaways from the season opener:

Nathan Rourke looked in control

The senior quarterback has managed to silence all of the preseason hype that’s surrounded him throughout the offseason. Rourke went 16-for-22 with 188 yards and two touchdowns. He also had 10 carries for 75 yards and one touchdown. He was effective in spreading the ball around – nine different players had receptions.

Until the Bobcats’ youth establishes a sense of comfortability on the field, Rourke’s going to be expected to carry the brunt of the offensive production.

He’s been so-so in season openers up until Saturday’s game. Last year, he went 2-for-8 with only 44 yards. A whole season’s worth of experience showed against Rhode Island as he looked confident and relatively unbothered for most of the game.

Defense had its moments

There were less questions surrounding the defense heading into the season compared to the offense, and yet, after they gave up only 375 total yards to the Rams, it might be time for more questions. They flashed signs of strength. Cole Baker had a sack, Jamal Hudson, Jarren Hampton and Marlin Brooks all had pass breakups and Brooks also had an interception, but nothing stood out as impressive with a mostly experienced group back. 

In its little moments, however, Ohio was strong in the middle – an area of concern heading into the year. The Bobcats only gave up 84 rushing yards, and no run was longer than 20 yards.

As a whole, the defense gave up 375 yards and allowed 5.8 yards per play.

They’ll have a much tougher test next week, however, when it has ACC school Pitt running against them.

Young guys came to play

Aside from Rourke, the young and relatively inexperienced players for Ohio looked solid for week one. Wide receiver Tyler Tupa had three receptions for 49 yards and a touchdown. Running back De’Montre Tuggle had 3 carries for 65 yards and two touchdowns. The running back by committee approach proved to work against the Rams as it had four different backs total 203 yards on 28 carries with two touchdowns.

The receiver room was solid as were the tight ends – Ryan Luehrman had a four-yard touchdown in the first half, Adam Luehrman had one catch for seven yards – and that’s something that offensive coordinator Tim Albin wanted to happen more this season.

Even though it was against an FCS school, for an offense that had plenty of unknowns heading into week one, the Bobcats looked strong.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu