President Nellis speaks during the first student senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017. (File)

Student Senate: Senate passes resolutions to prepare for year

Student Senate started their year by passing resolutions Wednesday to set rules and procedures for the school year. 

After senate President Lydia Ramlo gave a presentation overviewing the basics of senate, resolutions for setting a weekly meeting time, rules of order and the format of legislation were introduced. All three of the resolutions passed.

A resolution appointing Walter Milhoan to interim clerk of court to the judicial panel was also passed.

Chief Justice Emeritus Walter Milhoan has previously served in that role, which is empty due to there being no applicants for the position. Milhoan will serve as interim clerk of court for one month in order to train the assistant clerk of court for the position.

A resolution appointing Lillian Mattimoe to a chair of the committee on the budget was also passed.

Senator Lillian Mattimoe previously served on the committee last year. Ramlo said Sen. Mattimoe did great work on the committee on the budget. 

“I’m really excited to work with Lillian this semester, both semesters actually,” Treasurer Jayden McAdams said. “She was the best person for the job.”

Additional resolutions for appointing a senator to the committee on the budget, authorizing the purchase of breakfast supplies for a senate retreat and authorizing the purchase of pizza for a senate retreat were also passed.

The executives also gave their first reports of the school year. During her report, Ramlo said the success of the new safety app that senate helped launch. The app has already received about 1,200 downloads.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu