Evan Adams, (no. 21) of Athens High School, goes to complete a run in the late stages of the game against Parkersburg South. Adams had four touchdowns on the night and was the main contributor to the Bulldogs' 26-16 victory over the Parkersburg South Patriots. (FILE)

Athens Football: Bulldogs open TVC-Ohio play against Alexander

A tough non-conference schedule has left the Bulldogs winless through the first three weeks of the 2019 season.

Last week the Bulldogs suffered a 42-20 loss at the hands of Parkersburg South (West Virginia) in a game where it seemed like almost nothing went right on both sides of the ball for Athens.  

This Friday, Athens (0-3) will have to find answers in order to turn its season around as they enter conference play against the Alexander Spartans (3-0) at R. Basil Rutter Field.

Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. 

How to listen: 

970 WATH will have a radio broadcast for the game.

News and notes:

- The Bulldogs are the defending TVC-Ohio Champions with a 6-0 conference record in 2018.

- Athens has beaten Alexander in three consecutive years - including back-to-back shut outs in 2017 and 2018. In those three games, Athens has outscored the Spartans 133-19. Alexander’s last win over the Bulldogs was in 2015 where it defeated them 31-14 en route to a TVC-Ohio championship and an appearance in the Division 5 state playoffs.

- Alexander’s defense has only allowed a combined 26 points from its opponents in 2019. It shut out Bradford 48-0 in its first game of the season.