Cherry Orchards farm located in Crooksville, Ohio, sells fresh produce at the Athens County Farmer’s Market. (FILE)

Athens Farmers Market considers move to Athens Community Center

The Athens Farmers Market is considering a  move to the area surrounding the community center in the next few years. 

The move would give the market a permanent location as well as a location with more opportunities for expansion, both for vendors and community activities. The city is also looking toward expanding the use of the area around the community center.

“We have to look at opportunities that come up that could allow us to serve the community better,” Paul Tomcho, president of the Athens Farmers Market Executive Committee and the owner-operator of Creekside Farm. “The city is looking to enhance that space. And so there'd be an option perhaps for the farmers market to be part of that.”

Becky Clark, the Athens Farmers Market promotions manager and owner of Pork and Pickles, said the community center area would have the ability to provide a more community-involved setting, possibly allowing for picnicking or a place for children to play.

“There's the option of a bit more of like a park setting could kind of create more like kind of polish the farmers market up a bit, create more space, be able to have extended hours — that kind of thing,” Clark said.

The move would also enable the market to expand its hours. Another point of interest for the move would be finding a more permanent space.

“We don't have a permanent lease here,” Ginger Gagne, manager of the farmers market, said. “And it's expensive for us to be here, so we're we're looking at options.” 

The space would also provide permanent coverage and save the vendors time since there would no longer be need for tents or extensive setup every time the market opens.

“If we could have cover and a permanent spot, that would be great,” Gagne said.

Trent Tucker, owner and operator of Tucker Farms, said he thought the move would be beneficial for business as well as that it would be easier to set up in the new space.

“I'm happy to be in a spot that's not a parking lot,” Adam Blaney, owner and operator of Blaney Farms, said. “If you have a park or a community center or other things for people to do, it always brings more business in to have more things to do other than just going to ... the market.”

Jeff Brock, owner and operator of High Bottom Farm, said he is in favor of the move, and he believes it would increase his business as well as save him time with his booth’s setup.

Many of the vendors were in favor of the switch for a variety of reasons, although a few have doubts about how beneficial the move might really be.

Kristen Wiedmann, an associate of Symmes Creek Ranch, said it would be good for both vendors and customers because both would be out of the sun at the new location. She also said she was concerned about parking at the new location, as she had heard that there were issues with it at the previous location.

Setup would also be decreased, and less equipment would have to be transported, Wiedmann said.

“I think there could be good things and challenges either way,” Wiedmann said. 

Others, like Morning Dew Hop Farm worker David Wilson, said the market was better in its current place in regard to space. 

The move could also provide opportunities for other businesses in the area or even new business looking to come into the region.

“This isn't a permanent spot,” Gagne said. “This, the Market on State, has the option to expand and another business could come here.”

The timeline for the move is tentative, and although discussions have begun, the move is unlikely to happen any time soon.

“It's all kind of a slow process,” Clark said. “We're happy where we're at currently.”

@thatdbemyluck

tb040917@ohio.edu