Domino's employee holding a tray of garlic bread. (Provided via Domino's LinkedIn)

Fun News Friday: New world records for longest train set, longest waterslide broken

The middle of the semester is nearing, which means it’s time for studying, getting sick and rising stress levels. If you need a break from the madness, read these fun news stories to celebrate the end of the week:

All Aboard

The world’s largest model train set made its Guinness World Record even more impressive Thursday when it added a new section to its track. 

Miniatur Wunderland, a German model train exhibit, has held the Guinness World Record for the longest model train set for eight years. Miniatur Wunderland used to measure 39,370 feet, but additions have put the set over 51,558 feet. 

The model’s extension is modeled after the country of Monaco. It is still under construction, but will include landmarks from Monaco along with miniature trees, figurines and buildings. Countries such as Austria, the U.S. and Italy also include their own sections in the model. 

The official construction will end in Nov. 2020.

Dinner is served

If you’re on the hunt for a new job, look no further than Domino’s Pizza.

The pizza place is looking for a new chief garlic bread taste tester. In position is paid, and is based abroad in Australia. 

“You butter believe it! We're looking for someone a little bit crunchy, but mostly warm and soft on the inside, to help taste test our World-Famous Garlic Breads at Domino's Headquarters,” according to the ad on LinkedIn. 

Those interested in applying have to complete a survey and explain in either 200 words or a 30-second video why they would like the position.

Hit the jackpot

A man asking for people to venmo him beer money will instead be donating the money to a children’s hospital. 

Carson King held up a sign at an Iowa Hawkeyes game reading “Busch Light Supply Needs Replenished.” The sign also included King’s Venmo username, which those who saw the sign on TV used to donate.

When King received more than $600, he decided that he would keep enough money to buy one case of beer and donate the rest to the University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital. 

The donations ended up amounting over $1 million, although King said that he didn’t expect to get more than $20 and a laugh.

Slide on in

The world’s largest waterslide opened in at ESCAPE in Malaysia, spanning about 3,740 feet long.

Four minutes in its entirety, the waterslide includes a 70-meter slope and view of the jungle in Penang, Malaysia. 

The CEO of ESCAPE, Sim Choo Kheng, said that breaking the world record was never the goal. The aim of the ride was simply to make the experience longer than the typical waterslide. 

Previously, Action Park in Vernon, New Jersey, held the world record for longest waterslide. 

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu